Cutting plastic on horizontal band saw?

Is it OK to cut plastic on the horizontal band saw in the Metal Shop? Any special considerations for doing so?

The object is a 7.5" diameter rocket nose cone made of either polyethylene or the material used for soft drink bottles.

@AlexRhodes said there is a saw blade specifically for plastics that you can use. I’ll let him explain though, I just remember talking about it yesterday with him.

We have a plastic cutting blade for the table saw. We do not have a plastic cutting blade for the band saw.

1 Like

I am specifically asking about using the horizontal band saw in the Metal Shop, not anything in the Wood Shop.

That saw is large enough for a 7.5" object and the slower blade speed along with oil to prevent plastic melting onto the blade.

1 Like

I’ve cut plastic with by porta-band with no issue. I’d just make sure to clean all of it up if you were to use it.

I’m not sure that you are going to get a clean cut using the metal shop band saw. I doubt you would hurt the saw trying it if you would like though. My suggestion would be use the smaller band saw in the wood shop. Mark your cut and rotate the piece against the blade following your line.

My two cents and please make sure to clean after as melty plastic could cause many problems.