Cutting out designs w/o sawing?

yes it could but there is a larger learning curve than on a smaller machine.

The bookmarks you show are almost certainly etched.

Note about Lasers. We have co2 lasers that cannot cut metal (need a special setup). It would require a Fibre laser to etch and cut.

1 Like

Pancake dies! Man, I never would have figured out that term. I kept looking up silhouette punch outs and all sorts of things but never came up with pancake dies in all my searches. I’m not quite looking to do production, but I may. At this time though, definitely not.

I mean I can give sawing a go again and see what happens, but punching out somehow seemed like perhaps it could be better for me. Sounds like the better test would be sourcing the shape and figuring out a way to do what I want perhaps with the circle punch.

Thank you so much for all the info! I’m going to try researching the circle punch more.

3 Likes

Cool. Glad that was helpful.

Re next sawing attempt

If you want to try to coordinate, weekdays afternoon/evening, we could meet up and I could show you how I do it.

A few tips if trying on your own:

I think sometimes when learning it’s easy to want to death-grip the saw, which makes for uncomfortable hands and wrists, and easier to break blades. Pretend you’re holding an egg or a baby bird and have just enough grip to control the saw.

The other common thing is forcing the blade. It just needs to move in a smooth rhythm and the weight of the saw at a slight angle will carry it forward. And don’t get in a hurry. Smooth consistency will win over having to fix binds and broken blades from going too fast.

Also, lubricate the blade regularly with that wax in the drawer. It starts binding, more wax.

Life’s too short for cheap saw blades. Better teeth don’t cost much more. If the brand you’re using is aggravating, try another. I like Lasergold or Herkules blades (can get both from Rio Grande jewelers supply).

Make sure you’re using right number of teeth for metal thickness. There’s charts. That being said you can get away with just a few main sizes. But not enough teeth relative to metal gauge will be aggravating.

I turn the piece and keep the saw blade in place. Sorta looks like feeding material through a sewing machine. Smooth consistent speed.

Most important, use the majority of the length of the saw blade when sawing and try for a smooth consistent rhythm. That rhythm is super important. If you can get there, you’re in the zen zone :slight_smile: and all is working as it should

3 Likes

The other thing you might consider is using tiny chisels to cut out the metal by hammering. I used to have an article on making these from piano wire and tempering them. Might be able to find it again. Never tried it myself. Look up Roman opus interresile (spelling?) work for examples. Late Roman Empire, I think.
For thin metal, 24 or 26 gauge, and for limited use, shaped punches can be made from large nails ground down and tempered. Again, not something I have tried with any degree of success. I am no good with steel stuff, maybe metal shop could help with punches. Idea would be to create simple shapes that could be combined to get more complex designs.
I personally don’t like sawing myself, but it does get easier with practice. Was told once that after you have broken a gross of sawblades you will get the hang of it.
Anyway, ideas for thinking on.

The other thing you can consider about your hands hurting after your first session of sawing – your hand muscles aren’t used to working that hard or in that direction. It’s kinda like the first time you go to the gym. Aches and pains. The more you do it, the more you build up the muscles. Think of it like a workout.

Just to note that we don’t currently have the setup for pancake dies operable. Probably not until the move either.

Pepe Tools is looking at hosting one of their events here (June) and bringing their machines to do so. We are hoping they leave them :laughing:

A top notch hydraulic press, and auto rolling mill from them would be game changing.

2 Likes

I guess I really should check talk a little more often. If you want to make something like the who feel rich we actually have the tools needed. We have the circle disc punchers and we have a set of tools that will allow you to center a hole in a disc. There are white Delrin plastic and we have them in several sizes. Nick’s over made them for us.

You punch the center hole first. Of the size you want then you take one of the hard Delrin pieces play sit in the hole and then you punch the Outer Circle. If you’re doing exactly right you can’t it a perfect donut with a little work you can get it to cut the officer Center hole. I’m still not real real good at doing that. If you want me to help you PM me and I’ll figure out a time when I can be at the space. I am in checking in much because between everything going on and having the car out of commission for a while there I couldn’t get there. But things are calming down. I’ll be glad to help you in fact I need to cut some of myself I also intend to put up a Rolling Mill class which is one way to text we do have some neat hammers to text her as well I’ll be glad to help