Cutting a metal ruler?

How would I cut a metal ruler?

I need a 2(ish)" metal ruler and it looks like the only way to get one is to cut down a longer one. Total length does not need to be precise. Suggestions?

Horizontal bandsaw would be fastest.

Debur and measure away……

:blush:

Jim

Do you think I need to put something under the ruler to support it while sawing?

Materials are pretty well supported on the horizontal bandsaw already.

1 Like

How thick? You might be able to cut it on the shear.

1 Like

Probably .025"

This probably didn’t meet your goals anyway, but it reminds me I’m still bummed that this no longer seems to be available:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD2UW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This might work. I’ll buy two of them from you. They are 3" long though
gauge

Super glue to piece of scrap then heat gun to release. Just like when mmachining thin stock on Bridgeport.

As long as it isn’t hardened, the shear will make very quick work of that.

I’m not sure how to tell if it’s hardened. The typical metal rule is kinda springy.

Would this work? I LOVE their rulers.

Oh, thank you for finding that those are still available direct! I bought a couple through that Amazon listing I posted above a couple years ago, but was bummed when that listing went out of stock.

1 Like

And the local pickup place is minutes way from DMS as well, so one can avoid shipping costs as well as get it as soon as has time to drive there.

FWIW, they also make a 6" bend rule and a small T-rule. You can find them on Incra’s website.

2 Likes

I have the T ruler as well. The business card ones are very handy as a wallet size ruler.

1 Like