Custom Spec Screws (?)

Hey all,

I’m in need of a rather obscure fastener because of it’s short thread length, and longer sleeve.

This is about as close as I can find: McMaster-Carr

The problem seems to be ones I’ve had supplied appear to be turned down from a fully threaded screw – I suspect it might be a special order part. See the below example:

A couple of questions for the hive mind:

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar fastener? Most important attributes are dimensions.
  2. If no part is available, are there any shops or manufactures one might turn to to run 5000 pieces?

Thanks for your suggestions!

1 Like

You might contact Bolt Depot and see if they can either source this shoulder bolt for you, recommend a place that will, or do a custom job for 5000 bolts.

John’s suggestion is good. If that doesn’t work, there is a job-shop near Walnut Hill and Harry Hines that can help you. Happy to share details

What is the purpose of the non threaded section? Can you drill the part this goes through to a larger diameter and use a regular shoulder bolt?

It can be, but by passing this through a small threaded hole allows the screws to remain captive.

Thanks! I’ll reach out to them tomorrow!

Welcome to DMS!

I’d take the connection if you wouldn’t mind shooting me their contact as a PM?

Look for M10 captive screws. This is the closest match on McMaster - McMaster-Carr

1 Like

I looked at those, they’re really close - their price per / pc is staggering.

For that much I buy a lathe and the hourly labor. :joy:

1 Like