CTS needs engine work

Can someone recommend a shop to look at my 2008 cts?

It has been diagnosed by the dealer with an “out of time reluctor on the crank shaft”. I don’t doubt their diagnosis. It’s their solution i question: replace the engine.
My limited research indicates this is will indeed fix the problem. But then so would buying a new car. Can’t help but believe there is a less expensive alternative that still makes sense given its age and the mileage (150 000) on the car.

Thanks

Not familiar w/ this car.
Going to make some guesses.
Reluctor timing plate has moved
Sensor that reads reluctor plate has failed.
All this is located on the back end of eng.
Trans will need to be removed to get to.

Guessing this isn’t the V model, could always do a cheap Ls-x swap.

1 Like

The check engine light is on?

Got a quote from a local shop for a rebuilt install and that was 8 000$ give or take.

Engine light is on. Engine clearly misfiring. Loud. Power loss.
From dealer:
Active misfires all bank 2 cylinders
Misfire history on all cylinders
Codes p0018, p0019
Cam crank correlation p0300 to p0306
Swapped coils and misfire remained on bank 2
Bulletin #pip3423p fault is caused by out of time reluctor on the crank shaft.

I was hoping i would just have to replace the coil packs but not so lucky.

Prevailing opinion is that the best course of action is to replace engine. I’m willing to try a less than best course of action.

Not a v, 3.6l v6.
I would love to do a cheap anything swap if it’s an option.
I’m all ears.

Actually was looking for someone to recommend a good engine repair shop ti take the car to.

Give these folks a call: They are good folks.
Address: 421 S Mill St, Lewisville, TX 75057
Hours:
7:30AM -5:30
Phone: (972) 221-6627

P.S. There is no such thing as a “cheap engine swap”. There are ways you can lower your costs in doing an engine install yourself - much easier if you use an engine that actually came in the car.
If you go the route as some may suggest and go with a non stock engine, then you should plan in spending a lot more time, money and something for the headache.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will check them out. I’m willing to take a chance on someone with recommendations trying to see if the problem can be fixed without removing or rebuilding the engine if at all possible.

1 Like

I’m assuming this what you’re facing, though your make/model isn’t on this list.
https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92407/reluctor-wheel-movement
For a 150k engine, a repair necessitating crankshaft pull, it would be irresponsible of a shop to not recommended refreshing (overhaul, rebuild, call-it-what-you-will). In this day and age, that generally translates to “replace with another remanufactured or used unit”.
This video shows what Jasper Engines does to remedy this when they rebuild.

I see no reason you can’t do this yourself, but pulling the crank seems necessary, and any shop is very likely to recommend a refresh at the same time…

1 Like

The rebuilt engine is around $4,100 from what I’ve found. Paying around $8,000 is not an unreasonable price for a swap because there’s considerable labor and they’re assuming risk by offering a warranty on the service. Someone else might charge less for the labor but it’s still going to be pretty expensive. Used engines are around for around $1,500 with similar mileage (over 100K miles). If you did the swap yourself that’s a lot cheaper (and a lot harder).

1 Like

Jast,

Have to say that article you posted was good for the humor in the responses with:

“I replaced the timing chain but still get that code”

Amazing…

2 Likes

If the reluctor wheel has “moved” you won’t have a choice - this is apparently a known(unfortunate) “built in” problem with those engines. Removing the crankshaft from your engine is very very labor intensive. I don’t have access to auto repair labor guides anymore but I’d guess that you are looking at 30 hours of shop labor plus the related parts. Even if you went with a rebuilt or new engine, you will still have ancillary parts that will need replacing.

Can it be done as a “do it yourself” project ? Yes, but this is NOT a one day job. This is one of those situations where you have to ask if the car is worth repairing.

1 Like