Creative arts sale was a massive success

Somewhere in the range of $800+ was raised today for creative arts by selling off odds and ends donated items from @Team_Creative_Arts
The silent auction was awesome bringing in a bit over $300 of that amount.

@Committee_Chairs please consider doing the same thing for your committees before the move. We could all use a purge, some extra funds, and some time to work with your committees to achieve a small goal. Thank you to all the volunteers today. You guys kicked some major organizational booty!
Thank you to all the people who were willing to put up services for funds in our silent auction.

Wouldn’t it be possible/worth considering changing the storage rules to “ownership changes to dms after items are left in dms storage (for a set amount of time) and will be sold at quarterly sales” to help out the member scholarship fund? Something to consider after the money haul of today for us.

22 Likes

That is awesome!!!

1 Like

THIS!!!

It boggles my mind that there are members who piss and moan about buying pizza to feed volunteers during a work day, but apparently believe it’s cool for the membership at large to finance the “preservation” of UFO’s (unfinished objects) for extended periods of time.

I shudder to think how much we are spending to rent offsite storage space. How often does any of the stuff get claimed?

6 Likes

You would shudder even more if you saw what gets dumpstered. Enough wood to do the better part of a tiny house or add-on. Some very nice tools and raw materials. Really depressing. Wish members would remember and take care of their stuff.

5 Likes

Which circles us back around to Nicole’s suggestion of fixing the rules so that after stuff has been left idle for “x” period of time beyond the authorized storage period ic considered abandoned and committees can disposove of as they see fit, whether garage sale, auction, dumpster or otherwise.

1 Like

I would think that’s @Team_Logistics and tagging in the team that is redoing the bylaws. I could see this really working positively if a team would be committed to making this happening quarterly or so. Or even monthly - but that’s a bunch to ask from a volunteer. The aim at the minimum should be to pay for the rental fees.

I love the idea but the organization would be the issue (I could see this done easily with colored stickers denoting what month were put in storage).

Are the boxes sitting on the floor in CA the leftovers from the sale? Where is that stuff going?

Edit: hit send too soon. Congrats on the success! Was sad to miss it.

Thread bump. I believe the reason that abandoned items cannot be sold is due to tax code. i saw that in a discussion thread a couple months back. Can someone confirm for Team CA? @cannot tag board of directors i know @Team_Ceramics has dealt with this before

1 Like

Thanks to @jrkriehn who dealt with the leftovers - it was an oversight.

Ya as things stand leftovers can’t be sold off. I suggested a change in policy here: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/thoughts-on-changing-off-site-storage-rules/53280/4
but I don’t think it got much traction because implementation would be an issue.

Actually I forgot.
I was overstimulated by steamroller class.

Ah boo. I would have put a few I for a couple of items. Oh well. Thanks for arranging all that!

It’s ok - steamrolling is always overwhelming you’re still awesome sauce in my book

If anyone wouldn’t mind could you please put the boxes on the free shelf. I’m going to be up…at some point in the week and if it’s not done before hand I’ll do it.
Thank you

All moved now

1 Like

Let’s hope no”helpful” people spy the yarn and think “hey! I bet CA can use this!”

All the stuff is on the free shelf, so if what you were ogling is still there, have at.

2 Likes