Creative Arts Computer Lab Proposal

Note that this is only a physical mockup of a proposal, the requisite approvals and buyins are still pending, only took an hour to make this mockup, can easily move things back to how they were.

I wanted to visualize @uglyknees idea, so I shuffled a few things around.

Here is the before:

I propose that the vintage computers get moved here: (miscellaneous computer parts and monitors could go in white loaner parts shelf in common area)

Everything that was in the storage area and on the white shelf can either be stored offsite or sold/donated, I temporarily set them in project storage to aid in the mockup process. Those large whiteboard I helped move from the old ladybird location. Most of the storage bins have old stereo related equipment that is just storage and not used routinely for classes.

I propose that the chair storage be in the corner of the classroom, we have about 80 chairs total (3 stacks of 20 on the dollies in corner), any additional chairs we should get rid of (the chairs I put in project storage were donated by Luke, they don’t stack as well, we should get rid of them)

In this proposal we no longer need the big white shelves (which take up ~15 sq ft), we have lots of sledge hammers that would make quick work of it.

Which frees up the floorspace for a computer lab, here is a temporary physical mockup of that space as a computer lab:

8 Likes

Holy crap! I don’t know what to say

1 Like

Is there more to this? I’m not sure if you just mean about the proposal in
general or if this is in response to something that should have been
attached?

-Steve

I suspect this is Nicole’s way of saying she likes seeing the mockup that Brandon did.

I vote yes!

Here is a summary of how useless the board meeting was:

The floorspace will continue to be wasted by classroom committee for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Here is a summary of how useless the board meeting was

A little respect for the board’s time deliberating the proposal, please. There were many people with legitimate questions and concerns. I think the board acted responsibly.

3 Likes

Concerns like “hey give my committee that space instead I don’t care about CA”. Instead of facilitating volunteers who want to contribute time and effort to improve DMS, the default response was to do nothing. The pile of useless things will continue to sit in that space for everyone who attends open house to admire.

Lottery.
That is all.

Don’t have the energy for a 20 char. fluff haiku.

1 Like

So I wasn’t at the board meeting but I heard the decision. I’m not upset I’m going to find out the details (I wasn’t at the board meeting and only know what was said from other people) and see if anything can be discussed in a different light. I’m not upset but I don’t agree (of course because it’s not what CA wanted) I would like to find out if we can look the situation in a new light to see if we can find a solution.
When’s the next board meeting so I know my timeline to problem solve? And who knows contractors?

1 Like

Sorry I wrote this twice and I obviously said the same thing three times in a row…confusing to read.

1 Like

So this corner was completely neglected and forgotten, until someone came up with a good use for it, and now there is competition for the space?

1 Like

A wall would need to be built by a construction company, which has to go to the actual ceiling (30 feet up) with an unknown cost. Walling off the area would be needed to prevent noise from interfering with classes (at least as much as noise can be mitigated inside DMS). With a large unknown of the wall instead of transferring the floorspace to CA preemptively will have to wait until the next board meeting.

Could put tape on the floor and hang a curtain up between the areas…

Faux walls is not a suitable solution in my opinion. If we’re getting flack from the fire marshal for acoustic tiles that aren’t labeled as being flame retardant I can’t imagine a wall made of pallets going over well. The idea is a good one but the execution needs some attention. I agree that the space isn’t being utilized effectively and it needs to change. On the other hand I’d rather move slowly in the right direction than quickly in the wrong direction. I hope this comes back again next month (with a more flushed out proposal).

2 Likes

As a software person I would argue it’s better to move quickly in a direction, learn if that is wrong, and move quickly again after you know more.

Clearly we have some space that could be used for something other than storage(which we pay an offsite location for already), the unknowns are

1. Who the board would allocate the floorspace to if it’s taken away from classroom.
  2. How to partition it from classroom to make it a separately usable area(who is qualified to say what kind of wall is required? Would this process require an architect and landlord approval?)

I admire your enthusiasm. I’m looking at it from a different perspective. The reality is probably somewhere in between our two vantage points.

Landlord approval, yes. Possibly more but I can’t say for sure at this point.

Why would a 30 foot high wall need to be built by a construction company? Aren’t very similar spaces subdivided and finished out for offices and such all the time? Do the rest of the sub walls in the space extend 30 feet? The wall in the purple classroom facing toward the open area, if I remember correctly, is only sheetrocked on one side.

Based on the amount of noise and fumes bleeding into the lecture hall from the shop area, I’d be very surprised if the wall between the two is any higher than the drop ceiling.

Anyway, at the least could the shelves be turned around and throw some drywall on the exposed side, as to drastically improve the aesthetics of the room? A curtain between the remainder of the space between the shelves and existing wall would go even further to hide the ramshackle of things in that corner.

Third hand info claimed at meeting is that new building code requires it, I don’t know who would be qualified to answer that directly.

Of course none of the current walls around interactive classroom go that high, here is a ceiling pic from July 2014 when we were installing woodshop dust collection. The skylight in the distance is over interactive classroom. The wall to right is the woodshop to galley wall. The other wall going all the way up was from our initial build out of creating woodshop/metalshop.

Google Photos

Y’all no need to take up the sword for this. I’m positive that the decisions wasn’t made in haste. I believe the board Was trying to think in all the possible directions and couldn’t see a solution so a pause button was hit. I’m not afraid of taking another look and proposing a second, third or even fourth solution. I can make power points fer daze yo-I’m a teacher and love font choices.
I’m already googling ideas…galleries and people in New York are smart and we will be borrowing some tested concepts for sure. Be assured that creative arts will attempt to take a crack at this project again next month. Be assured that I dont like the idea of palettes. Be assured we will keep it classy, creative and the wow factor will be present.
Problems need to be stated with various plausible solutions to remain effective. Stay tuned for Creative arts two point oh turned into three point five.

2 Likes

As someone who was at the meeting, but may have an imperfect memory, here is what I gathered:

Other people want that space, but you have a Powerpoint. Good job Nicole!

The walls have to be built up to the ceiling, because they had to do that in another room (woodshop?) per building codes/requirements/landlord stuff?

A partition isn’t optimal, because it would allow noise from printing to sort of bleed into the classroom, plus building requirements.

More details are needed-an estimate based on requirements and stuff-because money/permission can’t be approved for a project when they aren’t sure how much it will cost.

There are concerns about what to do with the junk stored there. Do we need it? Are there any classy tables or chairs that are urgently needed elsewhere? It’s like a black hole now, so maybe a sort through would be helpful.

So yeah, I’m sure I’m missing stuff, but it seemed more like a “give us more info” than a “nope never stop bugging us Nicole”.

4 Likes