Creating Platinum prints from a digital file

Has anyone done this? By the time I became interested in Photography digital was taking over and I skipped the processing of film images. Never even bought a film camera, went straight to a Canon D20. Now I am interested in combining the two. I read an article on using a digital file to print a negative on transparency film which is then used to to expose an image on fine art paper using a platinum/palladium solution. The image is developed with potassium oxalate. I have a canon Pro-1 which I believe could print the negatives up to 13"x19".

The Article was in the magazine Outdoor Photographer August 2016 edition

Anyone interested in doing this? If so it appears that a true dark room is not required according to the article. Although Fluorescent lights emit UV so I would need to provide lamps that don’t. Could we do it at DMS? I’m in an apartment and don’t have space for it. I am interested enough that I would fund what is needed but having someone on board who has developed film would help tremendously. From what I can tell we would need a UV box to expose the image, the chemicals and bins to hold the chemicals.

equipment/chemical needs:
Transparency film Pictorico OHP
uv box - we could build at the space or maybe someone has one
Platinum/palladium solution
potassium oxalate
disodium EDTA
Heico Perma Wash or Kodak Hypo Clear

I’ve not done one but saw some that someone did. They were almost surreal, several were from IR film. Spooky.

It’s worth mentioning that the wide format printer at the space can print
onto the transparency film as well so you can go larger than 13x19 if you
want. I have a lot of the equipment needed. Everything except the light box
and I would love to see a light box for making large contact prints be made
available at the space. The cool thing is that once set up there’s a number
of alternative processes that can be done with the same gear.

-Steve

I would be interested, really miss the wet side of film printing.

As do I. I did some large format photography for a while, still have the rig…

1 Like

Hmmm… I have a couple of large scale UV erasers that I was one day going to build into one good one and one parts unit that @Shawn_Christian wanted the transformers from.

If you can use germicidal UV wavelengths that are used for erasing EPROMs then I probably have a spare large bulb and high voltage transformer. I haven’t opened these things yet, but if they are the same as the Spectroline erasers that I already use in my small business then the bulb will be about the size of a sheet of paper and will be a twisting, winding shaped thing.

The catch is this… these UV wavelengths are very hazardous to living tissue (they kill germs and skin cells alike) and these bulbs are VERY bright. You would need to build a box with safety interlocks to help minimize exposure. They not only hurt skin cells but can cause cataracts in your eyes from long term exposure.

Raymond

For this purpose we won’t need a commercial output bulb so for safety sake we are probably better with a lower output. I built LED UV light strips for a large Saltwater Aquarium I had in St Louis which may be an option. Light spread probably too poor though with the close proximity of the contact print.

I have been on and off looking at the 5x7 rigs to play with. Love the folding units.

You can buy yellow filters for florescent bulbs somewhere… I’ve been wanting to get some for exposing UV/blue light sensitive photoresists

How large a print would you think? Eventually I would like to do 20"x30" but will start smaller since the cost per print is pretty high and this will definitely be a learning process for me. These are simple to build and I can pick up the supplies this week. I probably need to draw something up and make sure some committee will provide space for it. I’m building one regardless but size will be limited if I’m hauling it back and forth. I built a 12"x16" contact print frame for 11"x15" paper today.

If we can’t keep it at the space I will build a UV box with 24" bulbs. I think 16x20 will be the largest possible print but its a start and will still be fun to try.

16x20 is a good starting size. Let me know when you are looking to be at the space.

I think I will model it after this one to start.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/262024-Arista-UV-Lightsource-20x24

The larger size would be difficult to move around since it is so big. If it takes off we can rebuild it bigger.

With any luck I will be at the space a few evenings this week. Hopefully tonight. I’ll look for you.

AS&S has cold-cathode blacklights right now, which run from 12V, originally intended for computer casemods. I’m getting one for Nuclear Science Day to show off my uranium glass without burning up batteries (got a 12V wallwart from the Free Shelf last night).

1 Like

I am going to place an order with Bostick-Sullivan for the paper and transparency film. Do you have some of the chemicals to try or should I order those as well? Could be any of the alternative processes for experiments. I am happy to reimburse for what I use. Also should I order trays for the various washes? I am starting with 11x15 paper but want to go bigger if I like the outcome.

I’m in town this weekend so if I can figure out the ballast and bulbs by then I want to finish the UV box by Sunday. @lampy may have some thoughts on this. I think the easiest would be T8 ballast and BLB bulbs.

Well, I finally made time to start building the uv box. Almost complete it this weekend.

2 Likes

Well time fly’s when you bounce from hobby to hobby. I finally wired this thing last night and found paper and transparencies locally, Asel art supply right down the street from me. Now I just need to find the cheaper cyanotype or van dyke chemicals so I can test. If anyone has some laying around they want to sell I’m buying! Or if you want to get together and play around with it. I am ordering chemicals online but I have this weekend free if I can find it locally. After that I’m out of town for a bit.

Wow!

Question: Is this box different from the screen printing exposure box in CA?

Also I’m going to try some laser transfers from transparency to brushed aluminum next week. Not nearly as cool as what you are doing, but still trying to keep myself out of trouble until the wide format printers are working and I’m trained on them.

Not the same thing BUUUUUT I have a few bottles of this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jacquard-SolarFast-4oz-Dye-Burnt-Orange-1-Bottle/39781671?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=6207&adid=22222222227031560259&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=56733729896&wl4=pla-101643308696&wl5=9026805&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=114227143&wl11=online&wl12=39781671&wl13=&veh=sem
It’s fun I’ve used a few times for fun little projects. It’s not nearly as poetic as the good stuff but good for an experiment or little blip.

1 Like

It is almost the same thing with the main difference being that I can expose the image in a print frame which is roughly 2 inches thick . Mine is not near as fancy though.

My goal is to work up to platinum printing and gold leaf on vellum printing but I have to walk before I run.

1 Like

I may try it for fun if you don’t mind.

1 Like