Create a VanLife group/club/meetup?

I understand markups - but basic cargo trailers like the one you want to make can be pretty expensive at trailer retailers. I am certain that you could build your trailer next to the lift in automotive - plus there is the area near the gantry crane…
Where are you getting the materials for it (if you don’t mind sharing)?

2 Likes

A suggestion for easier faster assembly that might allow you to do it controlled phases and you aren’t “rushed”

1. Get the outside rails cut and the shackle supports for the leaf springs all aligned, set and fitted and weld those up. That’ll let you just slide leaf springs in later and attach the axles with U-Bolts in just a few minutes (assuming not using torsion bar axles) .
  2. Get all the other pieces that do the frame cut and ready. These long pieces you should be able to store in the vertical racks just outside wood shop. (Don’t forgot to blue tape name and get storage ticket!) The diamond plate you cut on the plasma cam and the weld up fenders and attach whenever
  3. The cut pieces paint up to within a couple inches of where the weldments will be. Then you’ll just have the do quick touch up at the weld points. Lot less mess and easier.
  4. Then on the initial assembly weld up day, get there early, get the MIG over into the auto bay, lay the pieces out and weld, including the hitch.
  5. Attach springs, axles and lights. It can now actually be rolled towed. Since there isn’t any weight on it, more than strong enough to even take home.
  6. Finish welding all the other pieces, flooring, ramp, etc. at your leisure.
  7. When you get a home made trailer registration and license. If it is under 4,000lb capacity it doesn’t need a “VIN/SN” on the frame so you won’t need to take it in to be inspected. As soon as it’s on wheels you can register it … I’ve heard it rumored :wink: some folks in the under 4,000 class actually have gotten the trailer registered before being built so they have the plates. I personally, can’t imagine doing such a scofflaw act. Because they wanted the plates ready. Shameful, I know.

Let me know when you are going to do the cutting, myself and maybe another person can help you get it up onto the Cold Cut Saw so you have nice clean cuts even mitered if so desired.

2 Likes

Not at all. I’ve gotten a quote at Garland Steel and I’ve thought about checking Discount Steel as well. Do you know anybody else closer to DMS? Thanks.

Thanks - these are really good suggestions. I like the prepaint idea a lot, then simple touch up after being welded. Easier to paint the pieces, then a completed trailer.

I’m looking in the Fall, when it’s a little cooler and I’ll have a place to store it. I’ll definitely get with you to layout the Cold Saw cuts. That will make great joints. For the top rail, I’m thinking about using pipe instead of angle.

Once I build the trailer, I’m also working on a modular enclosure design that can be put up and taken off easily. Looking to make it water tight. Still just the idea phase, but I’ve got time for that. Weight and strength will be paramount though.

1 Like

Discount steel is about a 50 mile trip from DMS and coming from the East (going west) you’ll hit the nasty construction on I35W and I820, going back, heading East not a problem.

I usually go to Discount Steel when I’m in South FW and just follow 20 to the 820 loop on the back side and go north on Old Business 287, that’s before the 35.

2 Likes

I used metals4u in dallas for a quick one time piece of aluminum sheet - nice folks but I am not familiar with the cost of their metals vs any other sources mentioned.
If you need help transporting the steel in the fall - let me know about week out and I’ll make sure my car trailer is available

2 Likes

I’ll checkout Metals4u too. Alsways good to be able to source materials with a few vendors. I like the guys at Garland and Discount, but both are pretty far form DMS.

I really appreciate the offer for the use of your trailer. I’m working on getting a shop and then I’ll have a place to store materials and the trailer.

I was out at a customer’s house today(delivery)and had a quick tour of her husband’s workshop - holy shite! It was a small but very very laid out makerspace - his metal fabrication talents are amazing, and his shop is definitely a place to see for some great storage and tool set up ideas, upstairs on either side of his high ceiling shop is his textile and engraving area and library
He was finishing restoration on a bridgeport mill

I told him about the Space - he offered to have me bring folks over to his place for a “look see” and a Shiner

7 Likes

Think he’d be willing to teach some classes!

1 Like

Whoa, everyone! Talk about the runaway thread!haha!

I’m happy to see you’re already getting into it.

I put together a little meetup for this Saturday at 11am to see if we can get some van life/tiny home/RV’ers/off-grid people who want to get together and compare build notes. The goal… well, just read the event. :slight_smile:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/3007

Bring your vans, RVs, etc. See you all there!

1 Like

I’d like to go - but I work until 430ish on saturdays…

Thought of this thread after watching this video.

Sprinters are such lovely vanns

2 Likes

Especially the 5 cyl turbo diesels - fantastic fuel efficiency!

1 Like