Create a VanLife group/club/meetup?

I am one of the vanlife dudes at DMS. After meeting a number of members, it looks like we’ve got at least a handful of people converting their vans/trucks into RVs. It would be pretty cool to make a group on Talk, have a meetup at DMS, etc., but I am unsure of the protocol for creating a “thing”. :minibus:

First, are there #vanlife people interested in having a group like this? We could meet to discuss our builds, share tips/tricks, help each other out with big installs, etc.

Second, how would I go about making the group? Start with an event on the calendar? I suppose this would fall under Automotive, or would it be an Interest Group?

6 Likes

You might try getting this started as SIG. Probably enough interest.

1 Like

Where do I create a SIG?

Like you are doing now, see how many people answer on Talk. Then have a get together to see how strong the interest is, what your goals are, etc. then present this to a committee Chair to sponsor it.

In this case, I’d say it would be Automotive Chair Tom @TLAR or possibility Wood Shop Chair @Azalaket Andrew , although the former I think makes more sense.

While it isn’t absolutely necessary to establish a SIG (Special Interest Group) it has the advantage of being a recognized group that people can find.

I think this would be great group and is definitely becoming popular. You folks could probably develop templates and “How To’s” for the most popular conversions. Have build nights, etc.

Good luck.

1 Like

The great thing about this is it crosses a number of committee boundaries. Automotive. Woodshop. Metal shop. Machine shop. Electronics. Creative Arts in some respects. 3D fab possibly.

We went into this a bit a few months back on an off-the-grid discussion:

3 Likes

I’ll be interested once they let me south of the Mason/Dixon line again.

My goal, however, is to either restore or fancy up a trailer that can be hauled with a V6 GMC Terrain.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen with tiny houses on wheels, is they really aren’t engineered to be used as an RV. They really are a framed home on a trailer that can make it mobile. I’ve always wondered how these designs would age after being shook around on a trailer for a few years if used as an RV?

I’ve wondered if building a 2x6 tiny home on a trailer with an air bag shock system, would stabilize it enough to be able to use it as an RV?

2 x 6? I guess you’ll be sleeping on you side and aren’t very tall. :grin:

Personally, if it were going to be trailered much, I’d frame it welded with tubular steel of aluminum, attach to that. It should give enough rigidness to not flex. If made from wood, I’d have it completely glued along the frames and the under-layer of plywood, effectively making it a composite that won’t flex the joints.

Any flexing will definitely loosen nails and strain screws.

That’s my two cents.

1 Like

From the research I’ve done, this is a well-understood limitation of using wood framing, in addition to its far less-advantageous strength-to-weight ratio vs steel. The problem with steel is it’s expense and nominally more difficult to work. When building from the trailer frame up, it’s not unusual to pay a steel framing company to design, cut, and assemble a frame on your trailer.

Of course, you can just buy an RV and attempt to customize, but those are far less efficient, harder to customize (lacking a predictable house-like structure), and strike me to be more like living in a hotel than an actual residence. They do tend to be lighter.

Steel studs (such as those that frame the partition walls in DMS) seem to be the material of choice. When the structure is well-engineered, they’re stronger than wood while being appreciably lighter and also don’t have the warping issues that wood has with humidity changes. I’ve heard that weight savings of 1000lbs on a 20’ trailer is pretty typical.

1 Like

I used to be incredibly interested in this but I think I have decided to try to buy a Hiker trailer instead. I’m still interested in this as a SIG though, great idea!

I saw a video of a foundation structure used in Japan to help withstand earthquakes and such. It helped to smooth out the shakes and trembles. I wonder if some kind of scaled down version could be used for a tiny home? Or engineering a tiny home structure on a trailer like a car chassis?

I think the framing would need to be engineered in a way to handle all the diagonal forces that would be encountered.

These nice RVs are cool, but I agree with you in that they really don’t feel like a home.

Some kind of an sensored compensation system with airbags. My new car tells me, and kind of self drives, whenever I cross a striped line. It also governs down when I get too close to a car in front of me when I’m traveling at high speeds.

I agree the steel studs would be much lighter, and provide strenth much better than wood. When fastening, at least at structural junctions, I’d use something like a Cherry Rivet verses a standard aluminum pop rivet (I doubt you’ll “shooting” solid rivets with a rivet gun, but solid aluminum rivets would work - they do in airplanes).

I’m biased towards strength and fatigue issues … but metal studs with proper fasteners would work fine and would probably be a better. Me I’m the Pig and house made of Brick.

I am not willing to divide the auto committee into an RV section, however I am a fan of this idea of a SIG, and as a SIG - I would be very happy to help.

I used to maintain my Aunt’s 2007 Diesel(the only way to go in an RV) Sprinter RV - before discovering the fantastic DMS. I did extensive repairs and lots of routine maintenance to that fully self contained RV - the folks that turned a great sprinter van in a “Roadtrek Agile SS RV” should be doing something else for a living…
With a little effort and hella lot of time - one could use the DMS (auto, wood, electronics, sheet metal, machine shop, welding), etc to build cabinets, partition walls, electronics and electrical, solar, plumbing, creature comforts and more vs spending 6 figures to buy one that is made from inferior materials & questionable workmanship.

Just my two cents

2 Likes

With the new 48-hour parking lot rule, actually creating one of these units is likely to be a bit more of a task at DMS.

In light of the 48 hr reality, a storage unit will need to be rented for the length of the build. Then there is the hassle of dragging it back and forth. But if wheels are put on first, that should solve the problem of transport… the hassle still remains though.

Not everything can be built here.

I have tentative plans to build a utility trailer. I’d purchase the steel for my design and the axle take 2 days off of work. Get it tow ready in 2 days and then just wheel it back to finish it out, storing in a unit for a month.

I’m in on making a van an adventure vehicle, ready for travel to where ever your whims and dreams carry you.

Just this week, @pterodactyl and another couple started fitting their vans for such journeys. @JayJohnson600 and others are well on their way.

4 Likes

If you start with a roadworthy vehicle and keep it that way - moving it back and forth to storage / your home etc wouldn’t be an issue.
Most “RV” van conversions involve the creature comforts in the “cargo” area and wouldn’t change driveability.

3 Likes

The utility trailer would be custom built from the ground up using my design. No big deal. Building the bottom frame and hitch tongue and then adding the axle, should be done in a couple of days, then it would be transportable. Storing the steel is probably the biggest challenge.

2 Likes

That could present a minor problem, but not impossible to tackle.
For example if this was a coordinated effort - with like minded semi responsible folks, and joint storage rental and a truck and car trailer to move things back and forth until you have a tow ready chassis, it could work…

Are you building something like this?

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool, but no not a camping trailer, but a utility trailer about 7’ x 10’ with low sides and a ramp. Like this:

I can get it the steel, axle and parts for about $500-$750.

I’m not sure I would build it a DMS. I thInk I could cut the steel and weldrup in a couple of days to get it towable. The only flat floor space is automotive.

1 Like