Could we have any classes on basics of computer parts/what they're for/how they work?

New Member here,

Looking to build a PC for gaming, streaming on Twitch, but wanting to understand the parts, how they work, what they are used for before venturing into actually building my PC.

Would it be possible for anyone to teach a class on this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Kat

3 Likes

This is a good website that can give you a starting point, but doesn’t really give practical construction experience.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

5 Likes

This is something I can probably help you out with if you’d like to meet up one day. I’m not sure I have enough knowledge for a class just yet, but I’ve built several computers and am a lifelong gamer - with all of the junk building knowledge that entails. I also used to stream daily on Twitch. =) PM me if you’d like some help still.

1 Like

This just showed up on Gizmodo today:

There are a couple of reddit groups you could dip your toe in too /r/buildapc has a trove of information both in the posts and in the sidebar. /r/buildapcforme is where you can give a purpose and a budget (“I want a pc that can handle CS Global Offensive with all the eye candy cranked up to 11, and I only want to spend $750”) and people with too much time on their hands will suggest builds for you, or tell you you’re dreaming and where to adjust your expectations.

this could be an interest class, how to build a computer…

Build-a-Computer project class. Class fee: $1200. :smiley:

1 Like

You could just watch someone build there own and watch them do it…

1 Like

That’s more in line with what I was thinking: Once I finish buying parts, having a class where I put it together. Or having old parts that can be recycled for class purposes. Actually building a computer can take an hour or less. Figuring out the right parts for your application though is the bulk of your time.

1 Like

It could be a series of classes

1. What are all these parts (learn what the parts are and how to pick your own peices)
  2. Put these parts together (put all the parts together after you have bought them)
  3. How dose this think turn on (configure and install opperating system and such)

That is a great breakdown. I think it could probably be accomplished in one 3-hour sitting.

1.5 hours on components: what they do, how some of them need to work together (CPU chipset and MOBO matching for example), and maybe a primer on good places to buy them.

1 hour on the build itself - can build something out of outdated parts if it’s a continuing class each month? Most of us probably have spare parts sitting around the house anyhow. I know I do.

.5 on operating system, drivers, and questions. The may be the worst part - because installing an OS can take some time.

Been a while since I’ve done a build from scratch. Don’t remember it being all that difficult. Did take a fair amount of time doing the research and making sure all parts were compatible. Here’s some guidelines.

1. What do want to use it for - MOST IMPORTANT!
  2. Build, Buy, Update/modify
  3. Decide/apply budget accordingly

There are lots of builds w/ benchmarks out on the web. Also review/benchmarks on the individual parts - MBs, HDs, SSDs, graphics, DDR, cases, etc., etc. The test setup is usually described in detail - from MB right on down to case. All this makes for good guidelines for choosing parts.

Want your build to last? Be reliable? Keep the components cool. This is an area where manufacturers skimp.

Last build I used the reviews, benchmarks, builds, etc. on:

1 Like

This is so true. People do not need a GTX 1080 GPU if they’re going to be using Microsoft Office and occasionally playing Minecraft.

you could even have a written outline on how to instal the OS. What every that may be. There would be a suggested Lynux distro and Windows and then you could have a class on troubleshooting if you couldn’t figure it out or configuring it if you did.

I’m trying to move now so I’ll have to hold off on the build for awhile, but I’ll keep that in mind.