Coughing dude in the shop

What’s the procedure for letting someone know that his cough is Emergency Room level? I had to leave. I am against universal mask mandates, but this guy is REALLY sick.

1 Like

Yep. There is a BIG difference between simply not wanting to wear a mask and deliberately going out in public while sick.

2 Likes

Send a note to [email protected] with the date / time / location in the building / description of the guy and let the BoD review the camera footage.

3 Likes

Pollen season.

2 Likes

What would you do at any other place? Work, in line at Walmart, a friend, a family member. .Be polite, ask them if they are ok, can you help them…

3 Likes

John, we all know there is a portion of the population that doesn’t give a shit. Unfortunately, with a million dead, people have un-earned the benefit of the doubt. If everyone had been responsible from the beginning it would be different.

5 Likes

I’m with @j801496 on this. Before condemning them offer to help them. Assess after that. Don’t start with the base assumption that this person is an asshole. Last I checked the majority of you aren’t doctors. With that in mind…maybe i dunno check on them, make sure they are ok, if they are ugly or tell you to piss off, then thats a different story.

4 Likes

It was so bad that we were all just shaking our heads, looking at each other with with hands in the air… not going on the same side of the building to tell the guy. When he entered he walked past with a hostile look. Dark shirt, maybe 55 age, 6’ tall. And autoinfarcting his lungs. Won’t be hard to spot. I just had to leave. Didn’t cover his cough either. Just warning everyone. Later

1 Like

I can appreciate your unwillingness to try to approach this guy. But here’s a thought. Put on one of the faceshields from Woodshop. Go up to the main lobby, and get one of the disposable masks from up there. Politely offer him the mask.

If polite doesn’t work, then the vacate-the-area is what you’ve got left.

2 Likes

Sick in public is literally an assault. People don’t get to do what they want, when they want. Their breath is the weapon.

God help us when a really deadly virus shows up. But then, it might be a time for some of us to sit back with some popcorn (safely staying at home “if we’re afraid”) and watch the idiots kill each other off. That would actually be both hilarious and gratifying.

3 Likes

I don’t know. Is that true? We have signs posted that ask people to stay away if sick. Those signs were approved by someone. Do they have the force of “rule”?

I do think we should reprint those and put them back up. Somebody ripped them down a couple of weeks ago.

6 Likes

If someone’s going around in public with a wet cough, not covering it, not masked, not seeming to be aware of it, while COVID is still a thing, that’s a safe assumption. Allergy season or no.

8 Likes

Email [email protected] with the date, time, location and a description of the person.

Whoa, I didn’t call anyone names. And I have been coughing a bit myself from allergy sinus drainage, but I work at the hospital and get checked daily. And this was extreme. It happened ten minutes before I posted this, and I did describe him. Maybe we could get someone to use the overhead speaker to inform of mask locations or something. Looking for solutions not persecutions. That’s why I just left without confrontation.

1 Like

Though this is a project in motion, the PA systems is still inop (to my knowledge).

1 Like

I wasn’t there, so I can’t say, but keep in mind not all cough indicates infectious disease. Allergies, COPD, and especially asthma can cause a cough that can sound severe. I will say, that given your description, I would have left as well.

2 Likes

That’s a hard no from me. Unless I can somehow convey the concern outside of the particulate radius. If you’re coughing frequently, you should assume you’re unwell, and get it checked out. You also shouldn’t be congregating where others could possibly get what you have. Allergies? Great, then get on some allergy meds. Otherwise, assume you’re sick and stay home while you get it checked out.

1 Like

John is (by medical training) qualified to opine with a reasonable opinion. He deals with sick people at our largest regional hospital.

1 Like

John isn’t a doctor, he is an ultrasound tech. Don’t exaggerate his job as expertise.

You all honestly sound like a group of children sneering while effectively making fun of a person. Yes, COVID is real, but we are now in the “New Normal”. COVID numbers in our area are so low they will likely stop publicly tracking them. Our options to treat the illness actually work now and deaths are at 0 in our area. All great news.

If your so scared to be close to them, write it on a piece of paper and hold it up across the room. Or send a complaint to admin, it will likely be ignored.

1 Like