Cosplay SIG - May

I just added May’s Cosplay SIG to the calendar for May 7th.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2371

I put it in early because we need to finalize the FMoM convention details. Hopefully @Adam_Oas can join us for the meeting so we can brainstorm

6 Likes

Drat. Uncle sam has me again.

I missed the first two meetings, but since I have successfully made the transition back to spending lots of time here at The Space rather than working on the computer at home, I will try to attend this one. When the group was forming, I pledged to share my knowledge of electronics Checking Interest for a Cosplay SIG. That promise still holds; in fact, I am prepared to amp it up a couple of notches…

Will most of the meeting time be used to plan for Famous Monsters of Movieland or will there be time for other discussion. I am considering bringing some demonstrations of potential applications of electronics to cosplay and props. For starters, circuits can be built to light things up, make noise, make things move and respond to light, sound and motion.

In one of the many late night bull sessions which happen so often here, Jeannie @kyrithia , Lisa @LisaSelk and I touched upon the Cosplay SIG. They suggested that I teach a class specifically on electronics for cosplay. My initial reaction was no; that is more material than would fit in a single two-hour class and I already have my hands full with the classes I have already planned. After thinking about it overnight, I can see a way to make it happen.

I already have a series planned for the vintage computer and microcontroller crowd Fundamentals of Microcomputers/Microcontrollers classes. The addition of a few classes can create a cosplay and props track to go along with the original track. So instead of

Part 0 - Introduction to Electronics
Part 1 - Introduction to Digital Electronics
Part 2 - Introduction to Computer Organization
Part 3 - Introduction to Microprocessor and Microcontroller Hardware
Part 4 - Introduction to Microprocessor and Microcontroller Programming

you might have something like

Part 0 - Introduction to Electronics
Part 1 - Introduction to Digital Electronics
Part A - Introduction to Arduino
Part B - Introduction to Soldering
Part C - Electronics Applications in Cosplay and Props

Parts A, B and C would be hands-on instead of lecture and Part C could be an ongoing workshop format instead of a structured class.

4 Likes

Neat ideas. I would take these even if not into cosplay. (Have electronics interest but zero knowledge and these seem approachable and less intimidating). Ooooor just a flimsy excuse for a fun new obsession :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With encouragement like that, it will be difficult to not do it.

Hmmm…could a CNC Loom be looming over the horizon?

1 Like

Sounds like an awesome flimsy excuse to learn something new. Might even make me use a computer finally :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I did not mean for you to learn to use a computer controlled loom, but that you may learn enough about electronics to build one. Imagine designing a pattern on your computer, clicking “Go” and the loom automatically weaves it.

but we digress…

1 Like

:frowning: was that a PUN?

as is “amp it up”…

1 Like

:confused: missed the meeting today… literally got called in for a work emergency right as I was exiting on Valwood. Very sorry to have missed it, but I’m still interested in helping out for the convention.

1 Like

Bill there is a strong link between weaving and computers. the patterns used
on Jacquard loom that it was controlled by punched paper cards

1 Like

I hope everything is OK.

David took notes and I presume he will post them sometime. We are still trying to figure out the logistics.

Between the panel discussion and the booth or tables, you will have plenty of opportunity to participate.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from the meeting, if anyone wants to incorporate electronics into a costume or prop and you intend to show it at Famous Monsters, let’s try to get it built in the next couple of weeks.

It appears we missed a respond by April 27th date. So I would say we are not going. However, I think this group should still proceed as there will be other opportunities and we’ll be prepared for them.

Bummer.

We can still work on projects and enjoy a great picnic…

2 Likes

It is likely too late for anything for Anime Fest in Aept, but we might check out Fen Con,
Beth seems to be well tied in the cons in the area

1 Like

Pity we missed the cut off date. Lesson learnt for next time.

I encourage everyone to still visit the con (and the Makerspace picnic). It will have a lot of cosplay themed panels and booths. I plan on going on the Saturday, if anyone wants to meet up.

Minutes from this last meeting, we talked about fmom panels and booth ideas. We plan to collect a series of photos from tools around the Makerspace that could be used for cosplay, to include in a slideshow, and other media, at any conventions we might be part of.

• Besides missing fmom, we will still plan this for future cons.

Thanks to @Bill for bringing along some microcontrollers, LEDs, and NeoPixels to show off. He had plenty of questions fired at him after the meeting and it was great to see the ideas flowing through people’s heads.

Currently for next month we have no set agenda, so I’m inviting everyone to bring something in that we can talk about and discuss build techniques, etc.

2 Likes

Hey I plan to still go to the Famous Monsters. Let me know what time you are going on Saturday. Picnic I didn’t sign up. Can we still attend?

1 Like

Yes yes, the picnic will be epic, you could win a week in Florida! (or some tattoo’s) Sign up!

If i get up early enough then i’ll be there Saturday morning, but then i’ll be at the park in the afternoon for the picnic

1 Like

Sounds good. Text me if you end up going. If not I’ll see you at the picnic.

2 Likes