Core memory shield for an Arduino

So I just ordered one of these shields, but thought those of you interested in Vintage Computers might find this interesting.

This gentleman, seems to have designed an Arduino shield that utilizes old style magnetic core memory to implement 4 bytes of storage. Personally, I think this is a wonderful illustration of the old memory storage for computers. His documentation seems pretty good. Looking forward to receiving this.

http://jussikilpelainen.kapsi.fi/wordpress/?p=213

5 Likes

When you get this up and running I hope you schedule a class to demonstrate to people how the memory actually works. I remember my early computer science architecture class when we studied early architectures and ferrous core memories. One of the profs had a real large board with the cores on it. I don’t remember the capacity, but it wasn’t much. It was quite a site though. It was not real fast either as I recall. It will be interesting to see this one in action.

Thanks for the post.

2 Likes

That is what I am currently thinking.

You are right that these memories weren’t fast or large, but they were first created in the late fourties when computers consisted of a few thousand vacuum tubes… and a power plant next door.

Apparently by the sixties the densities had risen to 32kB per square foot.

1 Like

0.0039K should be enough for anybody.

1 Like

4 bytes with destructive read. Love it!