Copper embedded in wood lamp

I working on a lamp and i am trying to embedded some gauge copper wire… I am looking to make semi seamless copper hoops and embed them in the lamp. Any suggestions?

Any ideas?

Make Magazine did an article on copper inlays. I found the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWUZ4Gdcvs

Jewelry has a tool for flattening round copper into rectangles, which makes the installation easier and more flush. Super glue (CA glue) will affix the copper to the metal, and it is soft enough that it can be sanded or turned flush with the wood surface if that’s what you wanted.

4 Likes

I have found CA glue sucks for ringed inlays. When trying to flush up the copper it heats up under the friction and breaks down the CA. Then any little catch where the two ends meet and it rips out.

Best I way I have found to do it is with epoxy let cured over 24h. Then hand file the seam where the two ends meet as flush as possible. Last use a file with plenty of water and lots of breaks to let it cool down. Go slow and don’t take down the copper to far.

4 Likes

That’s the difference between knowledge and experience. Thanks for sharing what you’ve experienced.

4 Likes