Cool Wooden Sign Project

Posting for my son:

Hi,

I’m looking to hire someone to make 2 signs that are similar to the following pictures for my company office.

We’re a Y-combinator (W20) health tech startup & based out of SLC, I’m moving there following labor day weekend (9/6), so I would need this completed by then so I can throw it in the uhaul.

I’m thinking I would want it to be about 5’ long x 3’ wide. But I will have a CAD file with the exact specifications so all you need to do is;

-cut the strips of wood

-glue them together

-throw it on the multicam to cut out the logo

For clarification;

a. one sign would be cut out of the laminated strips of wood, similar to the slack image.

b. the other sign can be 3/4" plywood that is cut out to make the “floating” letters that are pictured on the other image (trulia logo).

I don’t need the signs to be sanded/stained/finished.

FYI i used to be a member at DMS, but moved to austin about 2 years ago & currently don’t have time/access to such a large multicam in SLC.

Feel free to text me or email me with questions or if you’re interested. Please provide a total cost for the labor & I will reimburse for the materials cost.

(97to) 971-zero 56 too or [jaredatanglehealth.com](mailto:jared at anglehealth…com)

Not looking to pay a master craftsman rate/professional - figured this would be good for someone who would like a fun project & to make some extra $.

Thanks.

FYI the multicam is not currently available as it is undergoing maintenance and people will need to retrain after software has been updated.

Also, do you have a plan for transport/shipping?

It’s worth remembering:
Good work is not cheap. and Cheap work is not good.

7 Likes

Lol. I’ve read software development gig postings that include the phrase “so all you need to do is…” and my first instinct is to run because the poster doesn’t appreciate how much work is actually involved.

In this case “all you need to do” constitutes 98% of the work, because with the exception of the logo, the CAD is about as useful as a drawing on a napkin.

1 Like

Thank you…

CNC shops are usually around $60 an hour cutting time. Honestly that’s probably your best bet, to find a local one, do the glue up yourself and bring it in for them to machine. This is gonna be hundreds of dollars and a great risk of damage to ship this thing. Also nobody will likely be willing to do this work for less than that anyway.

Sir, as someone who has the capability to do this work I can tell you there are red flags in the way the post was submitted. Maybe not what was intended, but still from this side of the table it makes it hard to be eager to help.

1. What kind of wood?
  2. In this crazy market, are you asking the maker to scrounge around for the wood as well as be the maker? Depending on species, that step can take longer than the making.
  3. The glue-up step comes across as trivial when in fact it is anything but trivial if the “Slack” photo is an accurate example. While @Hanna_Kessler’s $60/hr for CNC time is possible, it is actually low for a rush job. The wood prep and glue up may be less per hour, but the time requirement is certainly not.

My suggestion: address some of these points and post a price you are willing to pay. You have too short a deadline to go bottom feeding … especially when every shop I know is working with a backlog.
YMMV

1 Like

If I were making the first one I’d stack and clamp all of the short sticks together and CNC them to get the angles on the ends and get their lengths perfect.

Same with the longer ones.

Otherwise it’s a complete PITA on a table saw.

This isn’t the most complex job but it’s not trivial. Lots of setup and fiddling.

Did you notice that the “sticks” are two different heights? Just dealing with glue squeeze-out will be a ton of fun!

I did. Cutting them is just the start on this project.

In the original, the strips are varied heights, making glueup problematic. I’d recommend drilling three sets of thru-holes on the side of each strip and using all-thread instead. Glue on only the left and rightmost strips to cover the nuts.

To my eye, the logo is actually proud of the background strips: otherwise the center of the “a” would fall out. A bandsaw cut on the “a” and a reflection on the preceding “s” are also evident.

The revised construction (avoiding the MultiCAM) would be:

• Joint faces of parent wood stock. Top and bottom strips get different heights.

• Rip strips on table saw. Make spares. Plane sides of each strip smooth.

• Cut strips to individual lengths. Miter both ends of each strip. Number carefully to maintain order.

• Build drilling jig. Drill three holes in each strip. Counterbore recess into first, second, next to last, and last strip to conceal all-thread washers and nuts.

• Assemble strips on all-thread. Optionally use some CA glue to stabilize/secure strips.

• Tighten nuts. If needed, use half-height nuts or grind nut height down to allow concealment. Glue end strips onto assembly using wood and CA glue (CA for initial hold while wood glue cures). Use bar clamps.

• Cut out letters using laser from different wood using CAD as source. Sand off burn marks. Stain/paint front/sides dark if using light wood. Attach letters to assembly with wood glue and perhaps brads.

• Apply spray polyurethane finish as desired.

Probably 10-12ish hours of work. I’d consider doing it for $500 plus materials, but I’m currently in Colorado.

4 Likes

I think it is actually a shallow pocket cut into the top of the assembly and then painted black.

4 Likes

I think you are actually seeing the drywall through the sign. It is a stick or all-trhread holding the center of the A in place, probably to ensure spacing an positioning, and it is probably mounted to the wall itself. Here is another picture of the same sign.

EDIT: This page shows how they made it, and mentions that it weight 200 ponds. https://www.tinkeringmonkey.com/portfolio/slack-lobby-sign/

7 Likes

Okie Dokie … I yield to better eyes!

1 Like

More like bigger monitor, then I got curious and Google helped.

1 Like

I like how the OP vanished without a trace.

2 Likes

It became clear that this isn’t a trivial project and was going to cost something more than the fun of building it.

2 Likes

Thank you @CaryF300 , I have forwarded the link on to my son for his review.

@bertberaht and @HankCowdog thank you too for your kind words of wisdom and support. Jared doesn’t frequent Talk (smart kid), so I’ll forward your messages on to him as well.

Sharing your knowledge and kind words of advice make DMS a place we can all be proud of, Thank you!

4 Likes