Converting InDesign to something we can use on the Lasers

Seen a few posts about InDesign (one of my own actually way back in '15) but haven’t been able to figure out a way to do this yet as I don’t have an adobe Creative Suite subscription of my own.

I have the original file for my wedding invitations as an InDesign file, and want to use it to laser the design onto a piece of leather. What’s the best way to convert that ID file to something I can use on the lasers?

Anyone done anything like this already?

Not sure if you tried, but…will the Creative cloud licenses we have on the laser computers help out with this? I.E. bring the file into the space and see if it will load once you are logged in?

Here’s how I would do it.

Export the file as a PDF
open that PDF in Illustrator.
Select all, convert fonts to outlines
save as a .AI file

This assumes that you have the fonts and images the InDesign file was created with.

1 Like

As a gentle reminder, the laser computers aren’t for design. They are for driving the laser cutters.

There are other computers around the space with Creative Cloud.

But if I don’t have a paid CC login can I still access the CC tools?

Yes, as long as you are using one of the DMS computers that has that license.

EDIT: There are a couple computers at the space where the DMS license has expired. That may have been an issue for you. Do not misinterpret that as thinking it wants you personally to have a license.

1 Like

I’d like to remind everyone that you can try Adobe CC for free for 30 days on your own PC.

1 Like

And if you can scrape together a .edu email address, you can get a CC subscription at a discount. If you wait 'til Black Friday week in November, you can get an even more discounted discount.

2 Likes