Computer on a Stick Experiences?

Thinking using some of these for some “kiosk thingys” might be nice, because we could invest a bit more $$ into a large touchscreen monitor, and plug in these to make them “computers”, and it should cost a good deal less than an actual computer for dedicated-purpose like this. I know they’ve been around for several years, though, and every iteration seems to say, in effect “promising technology if it ever matures”. I’m wondering if the Intel Compute Stick may be the harbinger of maturity, and what, if any, experiences DMSers can provide. What I’m looking for specifically is the ability to run Windows 8.1 on a “regular old touchscreen monitor”, like this or maybe this so as to eliminate the need for keyboards for simple input of ID numbers and PIN-style passwords…
Anyway, probably far-fetched, as right now we use “surplussed” equipment at essentially no cost, but it sure would be nice to move to touchscreen and eliminate the large(ish) boxes…
BTW, what category would you think this should fall on the talk’space?

Thank you for reading!

What exactly would you be intending these computers to be used for? Because there are lots of single-board computers out there, but the vast majority of them only run Linux or Android.

1 Like

Sadly, my client is only supported on Windows platform…
:frowning:

Can you supply some details on what exactly you’re trying to accomplish? There are often more than one ways to skin a cat.

I guess I thought this was pretty clear:

The ne Raspberry Pi 2 is supposed to be able to run some version of windows.

1 Like

I still don’t see what you’re actually looking to do with such a system. You said “kiosk thingies,” which implies a specific task. The digital food debit system springs to mind as a good example. “Running Windows” doesn’t strike me as an end goal, only a means to an end.

Well…
I’m looking to run a client which I can only run on windows, while cleaning up the physical interface.
It doesn’t really matter what it does.
It’s a piddly little piece of software which could easily be a web page but isn’t and could easily run on Linux but I can’t and the experience of using would improve 90-fold if I could justify moving to touchscreens, mostly by cleaning up the space needed for a computer box and/or keyboard/mouse. The problem with using another type of computer box, even a small one like Rasperry Pi 2, is the power and adapters. With the “computer on a stick” on a touchscreen the only power would be for the monitor, as the computer is powered off the USB from the monitor.

As an aside, if you have other computer on a stick experiences, I’m interested.
Feel free to toss 'em in. On that front, I’m curious specifically to USB keys with CPUs, memory, wi-fi, etc, designed to work by being plugged into a touchscreen TV or monitor and “turning it into a computer”.
No interest in the “linux is pre-installed” so you can run it at any computer. Already got those. Totally a different topic, IMO.
Thank you again!

You seem rather cagey about discussing the details of this project. That plus some of your wording leads me to assume that this means you have some sort of commercial interest in it. I’m rather disinclined to give out free advice / help to a “black hole” project.

I try to stay away from negativity and give the benefit of the doubt, however, so please feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken.

I could not disagree more. I have been extremely straight forward about the information I seek and the reason for which it is sought. I did not request any assistance in re-writing the software to do or be something other than what it is.

I reckon that depends on your definition of “commercial interest”. It’s something I support where I work and the details of that are not important wherein my query is concerned: have you experience with the latest generation of “computer on a stick” which supposedly run Windows OS? Was that on a touchscreen? What did you think? Did it feel “mature” enough to you to try “in the real world”, or was it “hinky”? Etc
I’m not sure if that’s “black hole” or not, and I do not consider mine “commercial interest”, but YMMV.

No negativity here as far as I’m concerned. I’m just trying to keep the conversation going where I need it going. If it corrupts your morals to assist, feel free to bow out. If you have something on topic and pertinent to the scope of my discussion as I have defined it, I look forward to your insight.

Well if you are willing to do a little DIY work, you could pick up one of the 7 (or 10") touch screen panels, add a raspberry pi and a small switching power supply. House all of that in a single small case and the only wire would be a single power cord. If your willing to have a laptop style brick instead of power cord, the switching supply in the case (to get 5V to the Pi) could be very small resulting in a really thin box.

That said, I don’t know what the version of windows that MS just released for the Pi or if it would support your application.

1 Like

I’m happy to be proven wrong.

My reasoning, however, is that often when someone is asking for how to execute a specific solution to a problem rather than describing the problem itself, they are stuck on a non-ideal solution. I myself have fallen into this trap far too many times, and I hate to watch others fall into it. By describing your actual problem to others, you have the possibility for entirely different solutions to arise. For example, maybe whatever the thing you are doing already exists as an inexpensive, commercially-available product. I’ll never be able to tell you that unless you tell me those “not important” details. I personally try not to prematurely limit the scope of my explorations.

Hey Andrew,

Never thought it would be such a pain in the ass polling for opinions about PC on a Stick, eh?

JAG “No One Expects the Incandescent Inquisition” MAN

There ya go. I do not have control over every aspect.

You bet there is.

Not on your life.

This is not one of those cases. Some constraints are built in. Sometimes that happens.

Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as scope creep, divergence, belligerence, badgering, belittling, and withholding…
Bring forth…the nefarious accusations…

2 Likes

That’s fair. Unfortunately, I have nothing useful to add in the Windows space. I personally try to avoid it like the plague, but I understand sometimes it can’t be done.

1 Like

It’s an Intel Atom (32-bit) CPU with 2GB of RAM that is not upgradeable. You’re severely limited in what you can do with that under Windows. I have a small Atom based system here on my ham bench and it’s woefully underpowered. It scores 2.3 on the Windows Experience under Windows 7 just because of the CPU.

If you want to run some PowerPoint shows or some simple business demos they would be perfect for the trade show floor. Outside of that, perhaps as a recipe computer in the kitchen or something to balance a checkbook. I wouldn’t use it for much else that requires any decent about of CPU power or RAM.

If you don’t have an embedded project for it you’re better off buying a small brick with a dual core Celeron or something stronger that supports more memory. Those bricks can be mounted to the VESA mount points on the back of your monitor and would be a better choice for business use.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts, Raymond.
Overall I agree with your assessments, but there are a couple of things I wanted to point out, pertinent to the discussion and important for the “coming of age” on this technology.

1. This Atom processor is 64-bit.
    2.This guy runs Windows 8 (of some sort), which in the realm of touchscreen is worlds apart from 7.
    Otherwise, I rather agree with the theoretical.
    I would really like to hear from someone who’s dropped the $$ on it or been given one as part of a sale stunt. Sounds like no go for me on that. I guess I could go drop my own $$ on, but that goes against my stingy, Scroogeish nature…
    Also, just figured out this thing requires a mini-usb power input, so it’s still got the “brick”. I mistakenly thought it was powered from the same USB port it was communicating over. Disappointing. (Though now that I think about it, probably physically required since USB probably lacks the oomph to run this stick).
    Thank you again for your thoughts and experiences!

Still a low end computing device. YMMV depending on the task you give it. It still is saddled with only having 2GB of RAM… Works well for Android or some other limited OS but not something I’d want running Windows.

I’d rather have a Celeron than an Atom.

Depending on the size (you linked to an 8" and a 21.5" touchscreen which is a pretty wide margin), I would suggest that you aren’t looking for a Compute Stick but rather a Windows 8.1 tablet. Until recently (about 6 months ago) I hadn’t found something that filled a niche that I had (tablet that could handle specific printer drivers without mucking about in the system; “plug n play”) but then I found a 7" IPS touchscreen Windows 8.1 tablet that was selling for $69 at Microcenter, a Winbook TW700 tablet. It has a separate power input (micro USB) and a full size USB port for using a hub and charging at the same time. It has 1GB RAM (doesn’t seem like much but it’s fine for web browsing and printing) and a quad-core Intel Baytrail 1.33Ghz (ATOM) processor. I was actually able to drive one of the 3D printers at the Space with it and it worked perfectly for my needs (Internet powered kiosk attached to a receipt printer) and as a small bonus, the Dallas Microcenter has some “open box/returned” ones for $40 (which at that price point, no reason to not get one). And if you still need a larger touchscreen, it can power a 1920x1080 monitor just fine. http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW700_Tablet_-_Black

-the purring dork