Computer lab tables and what not

Ok so the tables in the computer lab (Pillar of Solitude) were determined to be not sufficient for their purpose after being removed for floor cleaning, and thus the computer lab has yet to be reinstated. I hope to rectify this so I can offer Solidworks and Blender classes again.

Easiest option in my mind would be these:

I use these as my personal desk and they work fine. They should provide space for 2 computers per table easily after we don’t have to worry as much about distancing, and 1 computer per table for now. Critically they have enough depth for a monitor and keyboard/mouse which apparently was one of the chief complaints about the old tables. They are cheap and easy to assemble so should be able to be up and running within a day easily. Downsides are the durability of the surface leaves something to be desired and is not very resistant to scratches or water. Also they look like cheap Ikea tables because that’s what they are.

Costs:
$74 per table after tax (x6) $444
Some gas and miles (8.9 miles to Ikea from my apartment and 17 miles from Ikea to DMS @ $.50 a mile) $13
Total $457 for 6 tables

Alternative option is we want something nicer: Learniture Mobile Training Table w/ Electric & USB at School Outfitters
These have electrical built into them so should help with cable management for the tower and monitor. They are also designed for schools so should hold up better to abuse and look more professional.

Costs: $304 per table after tax (unclear if tax included though) (x6) $1825
Shipping estimate: $180
Total $2005 for 6 tables.

I am of course open to any thoughts or ideas anyone else has. Let me know what you think

1 Like

If you move forward, why not have them delivered?

To my knowledge, DMS has not ever reimbursed personal mileage, even when the trip is representing DMS at some event. The offical IRS rate for charitable work is $0.14/mile

DMS does pay for shipping and typically rents a truck when needed for members to pick-up items for DMS.

yeah we don’t reimburse mileage except in rare things but it’s something that I can go grab them or have delivered.

As for tables with USB and power we could probably get better value with the ikea ones and then get some mountable hubs.

The only concern I have with ikea is durability; we’ve seen members break a lot of stuff and our work tables even in the common area are built heavier. However, since the computers are fixed and unlike commons there isn’t much space for other projects / usage, I think it’s fine. It’s a low enough cost to experiment with at least.

1 Like

Fair enough. What is the next step for moving forward?

If you’re willing to do some wheeling and dealing… the type of table you’re looking at is called a training or seminar table.

You could probably call around to a couple used office equipment places and pick up a set of steel base / plywood top / with casters. For around the same price you’re quoting the ikea product.

4 Likes

I bought this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MWBYR6T for my wife’s setup in our bedroom. I refuse to buy any more Ikea hollow top or other cheap tables that do not have an underlying support across the table surface. I have seen FAR too many people sit, lean, prop on the various tables at the DMS, and anything that doesn’t have tube steel underneath(or some solid wood support) is going to break. This model is not the ideal design for the DMS, but it was perfect for a laptop, big 4k monitor, and positioning her CAMEO4 on the far edge. Price was in the top 2 factors. Height underneath for an existing cabinet was another top factor.

For outfitting an entire classroom, I really think half inch tubular steel or bigger is the right idea. With the multicam being up again, making solid wood tops is easy, with the upcoming powder coat oven, painting tube is easy. What isn’t trivial is getting volunteers to make a ton of steel frames.

That is where bargain searching may yield the best results.

2 Likes

Good point…

Actually that does sound like a fun project. I haven’t had a good excuse to do much welding so if I can get someone else with more experience to work with me maybe this is the way to go. Of course the Ikea/Amazon tables will be here in a couple days, and thus enable us to get up and running much much quicker. I don’t imagine we would be able to get 6 tables done in under a month.

Well, the work tables in the DMS were member-made and welded. It could happen again (I am not a welder) But the flat pack of my amazon table, if someone was so inclined, could probably be found at a number of metal retailers. Especially if we were to order many.

The workshop tables were made in-house and done as a workday of a few volunteers. Once it was planned out it executed fairly well

The tables, all the welded legs, in the Common Room (tops bought at Ikea) and the Bowling Table (bowling lane top donated) in CA were also built at DMS.

Building now would be faster simply because of the cold Cut Saw does it so much faster than the horizontal/vertical band saws. Tops could be purchased from Ikea with power strips bolted to front edge like the common room tables.

Still would take a group of 8 or 10, that could be organized almost in a one piece flow (saw - deburr/weld prep - fixture setup - weld plus a couple of people moving parts around) like we did for Personal Tub racks. Probably could get legs constructed all done in one day.

4 Likes

I would also like to cast doubt on the hollow Ikea tables. I have one upstairs that I had to reinforce because it started bending. we can spend the extra to get a better tabletop.

2 Likes

I’m in for a build day again. I learned to weld by making the tables in the common room. let’s learn from our mistakes and not go cheaper by getting thinner walled square tube.

8 Likes

But is it really necessary to use 4" steel tubing that can only be moved with a forklift? The tables that were built for the south workshop seem like overkill - even in a workshop setting.

Why were the old tables suddenly not sufficient? What was wrong with them? They seemed to be holding up well, though granted I don’t spend as much time in the computer lab as others.

Well, they weren’t wide enough, really, for a monitor and keyboard in an ordinary arrangement. Plus, there was just a hodgepodge of cords and extension cords laying on the floor. And, those skinny tables are easily tipped over. I’ve almost tipped them over just by leaning on them a bit.

1 Like

This is the biggest problem, in my opinion.
And thank you all for the outstanding dialogue. Let’s hope we can find some good stuff to get this room up to snuff!

3 Likes

Would these be an acceptable option? If so I will contact them and see what we can do.
@PearceDunlap @hon1nbo @yashsedai

Given current prices of steel and wood I think it’s a decent value proposition for us.

FYI @yashsedai is the current logistics officer