[Complete] Computer for Station

Hello all, just an update on getting our shack a computer. I am buying a Lenova Small Form Factor desktop for our shack to be able to log contacts and access internet and basic computer functions we might need. The cost will be 30 dollars but is coming from a good source and will be a quality computer which I will set up for Ubuntu with their newest LTS version. I have already picked up a monitor for it at the Habitat Resale in Garland thanks to @Lampy’s post about them being available. I have a keyboard I will toss in if it works correctly and I think I have a mouse for it as well.

Does anyone having anything specific they would like installed on the computer for Amateur Radio?

Any suggestions, comments or concerns?

1 Like

What OS will be on it?

1 Like

Ubuntu (and blah blah blah 20 character minimum)

Great! (thats what I use at home)

I like FLDIGI and CQRLOG

And if you could install EMACS (text editor) I would really appreciate it. I have been using the same text editor for 30+ years and really don’t want to learn another!

1 Like

We now have a computer in the station, however it is not quite ready for use. I am working to get the software we want installed and get our network cable hooked up. Once the network connection is done I will come back up and enable computer use to get us moving forward.

gnu-radio
gr-osmosdr
gr-fosphor

You got it anything else?

Maybe adb-s while we’re at it (also includes some nifty bits for gnu radio)

http://landoflinux.com/linux_sdr_adsb_gqrx_radio.html

1 Like

Well, crud. Blame me for plugging it all in before I saw the note on here, so I shut it back down and unplugged it. :smile:

N0ZGO

1 Like

No biggie I had it disabled from public use when I set it up, were you able to login or did you just plug it in?

I plugged it all together, turned on the power, and, while waiting for it to start, read your message. I then clicked “shutdown” from the gear menu, waited for it to turn itself off, and then unplugged all the cables like they were when I found it.

N0ZGO

Which Emacs do you want specifically several versions listed @wandrson.

Michael where can I get these, not seeing them in the software center?

It lives, it is not running this operating system(its running Gnome). As you can see we have speakers below the monitor just turn the dial to turn them on when you need them, please turn them off when done though. If you would like access to the computer all I need is your name and call sign to verify your an operator or pending operator and then I will message you the password. If you are on the hangout you can get it there as well. We also have a network connection that is our own instead of scalping machine shops port.

Have at it and start spinning the dials folks.

Not sure of version. In Ubuntu I just do sudo apt-get install emacs

As long as it is GNU emacs any version in the last 20 years is good!

1 Like

No worries, it’s a more involved thing, and it would probably need to be re-done (to update or to build for any SDR hardware we end up using) anyways.

This is for Software defined radio.

Yesterday I got a new mobile rig. When the storms rolled in, my gear was in a disarray. So I launched gcqx and dialed up 146.920 and listened to the Denton Skywarn coordinate with Denton EOC, move spotters around, and inform National Weather Service as the tornados formed, split, descended and dissolved. From my computer. Without needing Internet, without a working rig. Sdr is a wonderful thing. I can tune from 1MHz to 6GHz.

1 Like

I know I would be interested in seeing this and learning about it as I have never seen it.