Computer Aided Design (CAD) classes

right on. I was about to make that point. I personally use 5 different CAD packages. Learning the basic concepts of CAD design in the first one made learning the other 4 simple. Don’t forget that Inventor is not going away. importing an inventor model into f360 is pretty seamless. creating machining toolpaths or 3d printing is a different topic and parts of f360.

Keep in mind unless a F360 expert steps up (and I hope one does) to teach a class it’s inventor, learn f360 on your own, or nothing.

1 Like

If that’s what you want to teach - then teach that. You’re volunteering so we takes what we can get (but 360 does appear to be where most are going because it’s free). But personally, if you’ve never done CAD, then just learning to think a different way is valuable - then it’s learning the specific program capabilities and menus.

3 Likes

What he ^^^ said.

Just please specify which you are using so that people can decide whether to attend.

1 Like

This thread was meant for feedback and i have gotten the feedback I need.

I will begin adapting the lesson I had planned for Inventor to work in fusion 360 but in the meantime the classes I have scheduled would IMO still be valuable to learn the basics of CAD design across all platforms.

8 Likes

Thanks for teaching the classes - and teach the one you are most comfortable with.

6 Likes

There’s no defined limit other than RAM and CPU :slight_smile:
At least 24 members.

1 Like

Yeah, please don’t take my question to mean that I wouldn’t be happy taking an inventor class. Just curious as to why one over the other (you gave a perfectly good answer to that).

3 Likes

This is exactly what I am looking for.

Any chance you will offer this class on the weekends in the near future? I travel during the week and cannot attend but am interested in the subject and have been trying to teach myself when possible.

If the demand is there (and it seams to be) I will offer this class atleast once a month. I don’t see why weekend classes would be a problem.

3 Likes

I took the class on Monday and it was great. He admitted it went much better the second time, so if he offers the class again, those in the first session should consider taking it again.

5 Likes

How well would it be for someone with limited computer skills

I’m not sure if we have AutoCAD installed anywhere or even if there is enough interest in it to justify a class, but if any of you want me to teach you the basics (or more advanced end, either way), feel free to ask me. It is mostly just useful to program 2d cuts for the PlasmaCAM machine or the vinyl cutter.

2 Likes

With my more limited sight, I have come to realize that I
am going to have to rely on computer aided tools
in order to continue my art work (my eyes lie to me about where a line is now)
Needless to say at almost 66, I am learning computer stuff late

I need all the help that I can get

I will be around tomorrow afternoon and night and the on Sun aftenoon,
I will be mostly in CA on Thurs

Ben,

I think it’s great that you are willing to teach AutoCAD! I imagine that members will be interested in it! On that note, you might want to consider posting something about this in a new/separate thread in the same category (#classrooms:interest-check) - to make sure that your offer doesn’t get lost in the follow-up discussions about the Inventor classes that Samuel has been having.

Thanks and do keep us posted if you decide to schedule any classes! :smiley:

1 Like

**I loved his first class! That's where I learned how to make My Brick!** :heart_eyes:
For those who didn't see my results:

Thanks again Samuel (@snaps)! :smiley:

1 Like

I will likely do that sometime soon. I already have two classes that I’m looking to teach and haven’t yet gotten around to, so I think I’ll probably hold off on that for now; once I actually get into the flow of teaching classes, I probably will look deeper into that option.

Depends on what you mean by limited.

The Inventor interface sometimes require you to click on a fine line or small dot. If you cannot do that, you will be frustrated.

Other than that, I thought the interface was fairly intuitive and I am not experienced in 3D design. Just a little Tinkercad and OpenSCAD.

As long as I can blow up the view on the monitor, I have this
at 500 % for easy reading, I can see smaller but it makes
my eyes hurt after a little while,

Some of what I want is just mostly outline, a teardrop
a heart, a diamond mav be a shape with tabs in it

All I can say is take the class and see.