[COMPLETED] Volunteer Opportunities - Camera Repair

I need someone to repair the cameras in the purple classroom, the outside left facing camera and metalshop.

Purple and Outside likely need to be power cycled and metalshop likely needs to be rewired.

I am planning on being there at 2PM today to get these resolved as I can’t wait anymore (I think we’re over 2-3 months on metalshop.

I would like to find a volunteer willing to get on ladders and work on repairs for an ongoing basis though.

:warning: **NOTE**: This category is **NOT** for discussion threads. Any "discussion" will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate "discussion thread".
1 Like

If the cameras need electronic repair, I’m willing to help with that part, but get the serious heebie-jeebies from ladders.

1 Like

Thanks Raymond I don’t expect they are actually broken likely just need the power reset.

I’m not familiar w/ the details of our camera systems. If the cameras are on some kind of POE, couldn’t pwr reset be done by unplugging/plugging the cable at the switch in the server rm?

1 Like

Yes, if one has access to the switch and knows which port. A ladder and unplugging an ethernet cable is a lower bar for people to complete. Though if someone will own this task for the foreseeable future. I don’t see any reason we could not get the person access to the switch, but the volunteer will need to be able to get on a ladder as sometimes thats what it takes.

I’ll take this one. I have already told Stan I will be his vice-chair of ladders.

The one in Purple I can do today since I already have access to that camera.

The one in Machine Shop will take some coordination as the sand blaster will have to be moved slightly to be able to safely climb up there.

2 Likes

Bill will you also be taking the one on the outside?

I think ELab has some tywrap cable tags - will check. I’ll work w/ who knows this part of our network to identify and label the cables. Color code, naming conventions, document. Keep a copy of doc in srvr rm so anyone w/ access to srvr rm can attempt to do a pwr reset by unplugging/plugging the cable. Quicker & safer.

1 Like

Depending on the network devices in use, you may be able to console in and identify items by MAC and/or IP addresses, the port they are connected to, and shortcut some of the wire tracing.

Yes, I’ll coordinate with Stan on that one.

1 Like

@Bill (or any other volunteer who completes the task in relation to the Metal Shop camera), please update the following thread once the Metal Shop camera issue is resolved:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/issue-metal-shop-camera-is-not-working/18128?u=lisaselk

Thank you!
:dms:

Bill do you have an update on this repair?

Also are you taking the one outside?

Thank You,

Robert Davidson

I have unplugged and reconnected the one in the Purple Classroom, but forgot my password to check whether it started working again.

Stan said we were out of crimp-on network connectors. I would like to avoid doing the tall climbs as much as possible. I will unplug and replug the outside one Wednesday whether we have connectors or not.

The Metal Shop one will wait until we have connectors as I will have to move the sand blaster out of the way.

@Bill If you need me to climb a ladder for you just let me know, I can be at DMS anyday after 5PM

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer. My hours and days at The Space are somewhat unpredictable, so I do not want to ask someone to meet me there. If I happen to see you there, I may take you up on it.

Power has been cycled on the camera in Purple and the one outside. The one in Purple came back online, then later went out again. The one outside never did work. Both will get a new connector on the network cable next.

I have not looked at the one in Metal Shop yet.

3 Likes

Bill Gee has fixed the cable ends and all the cameras are operational again.

5 Likes

Let’s hope they stay fixed for awhile…

2 Likes

Thanks! :plasmacam_smiley:

1 Like