[Completed] - Lift Down Starting January 12th, 2019 @ 8pm

All,

to complete a cylinder seal replacement, the Automotive Lift will be tagged out on January 12th, 2019 at 8pm. It will remain tagged out through the next day as we pull out one of the cylinders to replace the seals.

The seals have been leaking for some time, and this work has to be done.

Anyone still on the lift at 8pm (job running late) may be given a short grace period at the discretion of whom is present to tag it out, but if unsure then don’t do the work. If you decide to do something silly like drop a transmission starting at 7pm, I’m sorry to say but the decision is made to just put you on skids and you’ll be stuck until the lift is repaired unless you tow it. Planning downtime for this unit is difficult since unlike other equipment it’s harder to just walk away, but that’s the nature of it.

We will be looking for volunteers to help with this. The estimated start time is 10am on Monday, January 13th.

We may end up closing out the other bay as well during the workday; this is still to be determined.

Cheers,
-Jim

@Team_Moderators please pin.

@patrickpleez1 I need a volunteer to help make some notification signage to place around the lift and automotive. Should be laminated, include the date of cutoff, and be very clear about what will happen if someone is on the lift during tag out as stated above.

4 Likes

I’m sure you know, but last time we adjusted the lift cables we noticed that they scrape on the hydraulic line at the very top of the non-hydraulic-drum lift arm. This caused the rubber coating to be completely eaten and just the braided steel remained. Might be worth inspecting it while you have it offline.

5 Likes

Actually had no idea; I wasn’t around for the last time this needed that level of work. I’ll ensure we take a look at it whilst we’re at it.

-Jim

1 Like

Here’s the photo I took of it, the zip tie is the “fix” to hold it away from the pulley. This was in Jun '18 rofl…

2 Likes

The new hose was re-routed away from moving parts.

Luke are you still in PA?

4 Likes

As a reminder to everyone, at 8pm on Sunday I will be there to shut down the lift for service starting the next morning.

-Jim

We’re also looking for volunteers as always; if you’re up to help, drop @Team_Automotive a line. We’ll be meeting at 10am on Monday the 13th.

Has this been completed and the lift returned to operation?

Yes, this was completed as scheduled.

-Jim

1 Like

Just double-checking, since “schedule” as presented here only asserts start time, no estimated end time, and no follow up. Great work, gang! :+1:
Camera Page updated.
Before:

After

1 Like