Competition Shooting

Anyone here in this category compete? IDPA? Small-bore/Open-sight? Long range? Bench?

Just wondering.

I sorta want to delve into the realm of IDPA once I unload some of my other hobbies. Lol

Hey , @Gimli … you up for setting up a long range shooting event?

I know several compete … including @matthshooter

I’m not a fan of idpa for my own personal shooting. As a new competition shooter, it’s a great place to start, but know there are much more skill intense shorts out there (ipsc takes the cake - 25 yard dual swinging targets with penalty targets attached to them lol).

Dallas action pistol shooters is a fairly good club (as I recall). Collin County idpa is known as “cover county idpa”. The gssf matches eagle gun range hosts are great to start off as well. Most of the really good matches are held at cresson (SW ft worth) and etts (outside waxahachie).

What pistol were you thinking of using?

I could setup an event for shooting 200 yds, 300 yds, 500 yds, and 600 yds. With pits. I might be able to get some volunteer coaches. I would guess that it would cost in the range of $20-$30 per shooter.

Now for the bad news - the range is just this side of La, near Carthage. About a 3 hour drive. And we would need probably at least 10 shooters.

I have been thinking about putting together a long range seminar. I think for a seminar fee of $50 - $75 i might get some National Level competitors to coach it.

Russell

2 Likes

@ThatOneGuy
There is a gun club in Terrell that on occasion has small bore prone matches. They shoot both irons and scopes for their matches. The matches are generally at 50 yds and 100 yds.

The club’s website is http://terrellriflepistolclub.org/ Matches are open to the public.

Russell Ward

2 Likes

Dallas Pistol Club is also a great resource for matches on the weekends. They are open to the public and the range is close to the Makerspace.

Its been awhile, but I always had good experiences at DAPS. If you are looking for 3Gun, check out North Texas Multigun. Again, been awhile since I’ve shot with them, but a solid group.

1 Like