[Community Outreach] Challenges learning python

EDIT:

In reality I need to learn Python and have found the free resources, books and even a Udemy course I bought for cheap to be a bit disappointing.

1 Like

What programming languages do you already know?

Know? None. Tinkered with in the distant past? Several BASIC variants, Turbo Pascal, C. I’ve got a rudimentary understanding of code flow and logic, write SQL queries daily, and perform unspeakable deeds in Excel nearly as often.

Tinkered with in the distant past? Several BASIC variants, Turbo Pascal, C. I’ve got a rudimentary understanding of code flow and logic, write SQL queries daily

Then one should find python while syntactically opinionated but very similar in function and flow. At its core design python was intended to replace Pascal, Basic, and C with the later being complimentary with python.

Might one ask; what blockers are you running into with python?

Courses and textbooks themselves are aggravating. There’s evangelism and history peppered throughout that I didn’t need, and a structure that’s seemingly designed to shake the student because of awful structure. The writing/presentation style also struck me the way math textbooks do - prepared by people who are so good at the subject that they can’t actually explain it to the layperson since they learned it in an entirely different way.

My last go at this trying to learn at work on a noisy office floor that used to be a call center probably didn’t help.

2 Likes

Let me guess and if I’m way off then I’m sorry; But I get the feeling you’re either one of those kinds of analytical minded individuals that’s got to know how every piece of a clock works or a very holistic thinking mind that need things to feel intuitive?

Take the MIT Introduction to Computer Science with Python course on eDx.

Check the VCC library in the big Common Room for a book on Python programming with the Raspberry Pi. It is very approachable.

Edit: Check the following thread for other book recommendations.

1 Like

Analytical, sure. But I can work with the black box and reduce its surface until it’s either no longer a black box or I’ve reduced it to the point that I need not know it fully.

1 Like

Ah. yes I think we all have suffered from analysis paralysis before. I know I do when it comes to maths and assembly language.

If your around the space on wednesdays then I’ll be glad to peer program with you on a few things and have you in the driver seat while we work on helping you learn python.

Righter of ugly code here.
Depends on what you want to do.
Arduino things - Sketch -> C/C++ (lots of tutorials & smpl code)
mbed - ST Nucleo/Discovery brds -> C/C++
RPi/Beagle - Python in linux environment

Want screaming fast, efficient code - assembler. Good luck w/ that.

I’m using a book for python right now called “The self taught programmer…” It’s not bad and I have 0 experience.