Committee Voice - Expansion move

Makerspaces have lots of things including art and inventions and other things.

sure. but displaying pre-existing vintage electronics is neither of those.

It use to be Vintage Computer Committee when it first started. It made sense to have vintage computers.

does it though? it’s like plastics SIG building a museum of action figures.

I think that is a fabulous idea! In fact, I’m going to start one. Calling all 3d printers, creatives and plasticmagicians, who wants in on the new action figure museum?

4 Likes

33 posts were split to a new topic: Action Figure Museum

Just to ensure all data points are available, make sure you take into account the Digital Media audio booth that will be built in the current lobby. The plan is to build that off the old Electronics Room, 6 feet in if I remember dimensions correctly.

1 Like

@Bill and @apparently_weird,

Those are valid points. Hence the greater discussion here. Given the sensitivity of this its one of those things I’d like to get the committee’s input on. So the options being presented to the committee are the same as above but is there any better option we have?

Just wanted to make sure as a committee, a decision wasn’t made and then have the sqft “removed”. When talking with @John_Marlow originally, the audio booth would extend in to almost the door frame. VCC would end up with very little room there.

1 Like

This map is not precisely scaled, but VCC is the area in green. It may not have any permanent incursions into the corridor, but it may temporarily use maybe 6" of the corridor while the area is in use?

VCC

Edit: My main concern is the proximity to the door, meaning high-value items probably should not displayed there. It is better than no space at all.

The alternative is to lobby for a place in the low-rent district:

VCC2

1 Like

Correct, though for clarity, the door shown into booth will actually be between digital Media and the booth, not the current lobby. This was updated on later plans.

1 Like

Not my decision, but IMO the 104 (south) lobby would not be a good place for a pinball machine because it would make too much noise for the DM Audio booth.

3 Likes

My main concern is the proximity to the door, meaning high-value items probably should not displayed there. It is better than no space at all.

Same here and overall we do have locked storage coming in that’s getting racked up in Racky McRack.

But do correct me if I’m wrong would putting up a wall and entrance for the committee say facing towards orange classroom be out of the option?

That will be expensive.

low-rent district
VCC2

That spot is already claimed by CA for art work

That will be expensive.

As I figured

The official Expansion team should weigh in on this, but let me give you my understanding.

The wall and doorway are the least of the cost. The fire sprinklers need to be evaluated and possibly moved to ensure that the newly enclosed area has enough sprinklers, and at suitable distances from the walls. As a multiple-occupancy area, in theory it will need an A/V fire annunciator. Any lights in that area are supposed to be switched from inside that area.

2 Likes

Maybe erect partition walls along the red lines?

VCC3

The sprinklers are approximately at the blue dots.

VCC4

@Team_VCC, please keep in mind that any change to the space for VCC will require both the @Team_Expansion and @Board_of_Directors approval. Moving to the old lobby was floated as a possibility, not a certainty. Do not bank on it just yet.

2 Likes