Committee Meeting April 2017

In my opinion, no. “Chop saw” almost universally refers to an abrasive saw.
Which having said, because these use a “chop motion” (as compared to, say, a band saw or radial arm saw, or circular saw) calling them a “chop saw” is probably not incorrect. I just think it makes you look like you didn’t care enough to find out what they’re really called. Which would probably earn me an ass kicking in the right (wrong?) evironment…

2 Likes

Didn’t throw away, sold.lesser model of DeWalt. Problem is still need abrasive saw. First time a piece of rebar or hardened steel hits it the carbide blades they done.

Also Tim and I have been playing with English Wheel. First get 22ga. I got 20ga and 18ga… Mucho harder to work. Beader works great. Tim and I both agree need a 1" or 2" anvil (I vote 1"). Tim has price, $100 to $200. But will greatly improve ability to shape. Also a shot bag and some hammers.

Be great when Blacksmithing gets their stuff in new trailer so we can move into additional space.

2 Likes

We probably can, but that doesn’t mean we should…

1 Like

8-10k what bender are you trying to get?

http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/us/steel/evosaw380.php

Check out the evolution saws discount steel has a good deal on them

1 Like

:thumbsup: :grin:

I will bring my bender to the meeting. I know one thing that I would have liked to have on my bender is a better ram.

1 Like

There was some confusion on a thread a while back… we were talking about benders and someone linked an $8k notcher.

ah okay im tracking now

1 Like

what bender do you have?

1 Like

Home built & modified from the Got-trikes plans. The dies are pro-tools 105. It cost maybe 250 to build not including the dies of course.

2 Likes

I just wanted to bump this guy back up to the top as a reminder that it’s TONIGHT.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2109
Looks like the meet is in the Metal Shop.
Sorry I can’t be there.
Doubly sorry now that Tim’s going to show off the bender!

1 Like

Just a little history we had a JD2 Tube Bender About 3 years ago to around 2 years ago until the point it was broken or disposed of the story’s cross.

The lesson learned was that it needs to be mounted to the floor and it needs a large amount of space to work with.

We did purchase a 1 inch square tube die it may be still around but have not seen it in years.

I honestly don’t remember it ever being used but it may have been before the demand was there.

I also remember it being a bit of a PITA to setup. We tried using one mounted to a heavy tire and ultimately ended up with 4 mounting holes in the concrete which the person using it would wave to bolt it in.

I remember the quality to be decent but make sure the demand is there as it does take up room.

2 Likes

Legend has it was owned by a member who took it with when moving.

One like Tim’s could be used without mounting, but still needs tons of working space.

This is the reason for acquiring a hydraulically actuated one. No need to bolt it down and it takes up less space.

3 Likes