Committee Honorarium

Since individual committees dont have individual finances anymore, is there any point in saying that you want the committee to recieve honorarium? The only reason I still do it is so that science committee recieves credit for the class, but honorarium also prolongs the acceptance process.

Should I just not select honorarium or does selecting honorarium still help the committee?

2 Likes

@Bizwacky - Do we have a simple way to track class activity by committee? How does it factor into any decision process at this point?

1 Like

The donated honorarium does increase the committee budget, intent is that it functions the same as if you took the $50 and donated it to the committee. In practice it hadn’t been working that way but I’ve asked our bookkeepers to fix it, I haven’t checked if that’s happened yet.

4 Likes

Ah, I was always under the impression that, since roughly 2018-2019, the idea was that the board would just look at committee activity or something if you wanted to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. If you were just spending money on basic supplies or basic tools, you wouldnt need board approval. I’m surprised to hear the committees still have budgets. I dont think we have been tracking our budget in science if that is the case.

Committees have budgets that are intended to serve as a guideline for what’s reasonable to spend on operating expenses (small tools, consumables, repairs and maintenance, etc.). For reference, Science’s is $1000/6 months. Capital expenses on major tools or other major spending (over $2000) go to the board for approval.

As far as purchase approvals, the committee chair can spend up to $200, up to $500 requires a committee vote, and up to $2000 I can approve alongside the committee vote. >$2000 goes to the board.

3 Likes

Okay, thanks for the clarification! I appreciate it

2 Likes

Yes so be nice to the treasurer. Lol

1 Like

No, I only do aggressive sales pitches. If you don’t buy my products or finance my ideas, you are anti-american and probably even a member of Al Qaeda.

1 Like