Committee Agenda Notes & Comments for Tonight's Meeting

I’m not feeling well and will be unable to attend. I’ve got two Bridgeport classes on Friday plus and early 7AM appointment in FW, so I want to rest.

Would like to recommend the following be authorized for purchase and I’ll order, plus anything thing else the committee wants.

I did order a new Bi-Metal bandsaw blade, 1.25” wide and 8~10 TPI for $15 off of eBay, great buy. It is in the Machine Shop Area.

Maintenance & Consumable Items These are really must haves.
1. Coolant Concentrate $32 gal X 2 = $64. I prefer the smaller container even though slightly more than 5-gallon containers. The 5-gallon size is had to get the liquid out in the right amount for 10:1 dilution for Cold Cut Saw and Lathe. Also, easier for Haas to adjust its concentration.

2. WD40 gallon. Great lubricant for aluminum $17.50 x 3 = $52.50 (gets free shipping) Would like to know where the small oil brush pots can be gotten - these are great for Sherlines, would like to order 6 of them: 3 with WD40, 3 with other cutting oils for non-aluminum (3 each is for when other lathe comes back)

3. 3-in1 oil, package of 12. These are good general cutting tools oils and mfr recommended lubricate Sherlines. $36 for 12 pack

New Equipment:
For Sherline Mill
4. Hold down set, $26.25 x 2 = $52.50 We need more clamping ability beyond the vise, we have a limted ability now now
5. Step Block Hold down set $42 - We don’t have enough to really hold hold anything down

Having these will allow me to give 2 different classes on using the (a) Rotary Tables and (B) Clamping Fixturing Techniques for both the Bridgeport and the Sherlines. We have plenty for Bridgeport and Haas but lacking for Sherline.

6. Sherline Tilting Angle Table $92.40 (on sale) Allows cutting angles. We have precision angle blocks that can help align. Bridgeport can use sine plates for alignment in pinch.

Would really like to have a Tilting Table for Bridgeport to eliminate need for even taking head out of tram. This is a larger one as it allows for larger work pieces and to get clamps on to work piece.

7. 15 Inch Overall Length x 10 Inch Overall Width x 6-1/2 Inch Overall Height, -45 to 45° Tilt Angle, Tilting Table $410.54
This is a larger one as it allows for larger work pieces and to get clamps on to work piece.

Again, a class can be taught on how to use both the Sherline and Bridgeport (could be used on Haas) for machining and drilling holes at angles.

The tilt tables add capability. The Bridgeport Indexer and Small Tilting Rotatory can also be mounted to this allowing for compound angles.

Would like to teach combined Mill accessory classes for both mills since principles and techniques are the same.

That’s about it for now. Rest are just consumable cutters.

Would recommend we also get large drills in: .25" (5/8ths), .750" (3/4ths), .875" (7/8ths), and 1.000" so larger holes can be made making boring bars easier to use on both Bridgeport and Cluasing Lathe. Right now we are limited to .500" (1/2).

Also add to list the Haas Wiring Harness and Tool Changer Rebuild kits - about $700 for both.

3 Likes

sounds good. I was going to go around the shop to each machine so we can report status and needs for each one. I’ll publish results of the meeting. feel better.
-Nick

3 Likes

Feel better!

I couldn’t make it tonight either, work got in the way of my life again, meh.

I’ve forgotten what’s that’s like. :laughing: haven’t forgotten what getting a pay-check is.