Coming Soon: Screen Printing Classes 2021/Feb

Back by popular demand! Print Making is happy to announce we’ll be starting up with screen printing classes in late Feb/early March. Before we schedule a bunch of classes, I wanted to see what people were most interested in learning. Here’s what I have planned, but I’m happy to add other courses if there’s a demand:

Classes:

• Screen Printing Refresher - for anyone who’s been previously checked out and needs to brush up
  • Screen Printing 101 - everything to safely set up and print a 1 color design for fabric or paper with plastisol inks
  • Screen Printing 102 - prepress, art design, basic spot color separations, coating and exposing screens
  • Screen Printing 103 - multicolor spot color designs, intro to simulated and WCMYK process printing, intro to HSA/waterbased inks, custom PMS matching
  • Screen Printing 104 - gig posters & other graphic screen printing
  • Screen Printing 105 - special effects - puff, granite base, foil, also includes advanced screen making for capillary films
  • Screen Printing 106 - advanced textile substrates - nylon, poly, rayon, viscose, modal, and more

Workshops:

• Open Shop - anyone who’s already checked out can bring their projects by for advice
  • Tees and Totes - Put your image on a tee or tote, 1 color designs only
  • Make A Screen - bring your art, leave with an exposed 1 color screen to take with you
  • Custom Koozies - How to screen print on Koozies

Like I said, this is just a preliminary list, so please speak up if there’s anything else you’d like to see.

15 Likes

So I took 101 like 2 months before we shut down. I was all signed up for 2 color screen printing and 4 color screen printing classes before the shutdown. I just need a refresher on burning the image on the screens and really want to learn how to do multi-color prints. Screen Printing 104, 105, and 106 sound really interesting too!

So I know Ceramics (@Synth83) wants to have tshirts/totes/other items printed for anyone in Ceramics that wants to buy one. It would be cool if 1-2 of us in Ceramics could be a part of your classes so we can do the screen printing for the group. It would be a great way for us to save on cost and great practice for me (and anyone else helping). Win-Win! :partying_face:

1 Like

101 and then the rest of the classes

2 Likes

I really like that idea - it’s a great way to raise money and it’s always better to keep it in house. We can definitely work something out there.

I’d love all of them. Are you agreeable to footage capture for future efforts to online the domain knowledge background etc for online training.

2 Likes

1 vote for screen printing refresher.

2 Likes

The plan is to record everything and have it available as a resource. Some of this has to be hands on, but the majority of it is all stuff that can be covered via video.

4 Likes

@apparently_weird and I are both very willing to come assist with filming pending schedules.

1 Like

I could definitely use a refresher. I haven’t used the screen printing equipment since it moved. I’d take all of the 102+ classes as well.

2 Likes

Needing the refresher too. But it’s more like I need two refreshers - one on how to make a screen and another on how to print on a shirt. I think the open shop approach would probably work as a great refresher if they were focused - just for making screens or just for printing.

2 Likes

Screen Printing 101, 102, 103 please! And 106!
All the Workshops sound great too! I hope they are offered! I am not a ‘koozie’ person, but probably many others are.

Thank you! I am really looking forward to getting started! Immediate goal: learning how to do a one color screening on cotton fabric.

1 Like

Really glad to see all the interest! I’ll get with @lisaletters and get a date nailed down for the refresher and 101 classes.

One other thing I’ve had kicking around in the back of my head for a while is a Build Your Own Print Shop series to build an exposure unit, drybox, washout booth, and eventually even a press using the resources we have at DMS. Most of it can be done on the multicam or the lasers out of MDF, but there’d be some milling required for a press. Basically, I want to be able to have it so anyone can build everything they need to have a complete shop at home, then release it as an open source set of plans.

If anybody with more fabrication experience than me would be interested in teaming up please shoot me a PM.

4 Likes

This is an AMAZING idea!!! I vote 100x for this lol

1 Like

Basic t-shirt class is my main need.

Thank you for getting this going!

1 Like

I am very interested in all of these, mostly 101 and 102! I have been dying to take screen printing, I am mostly free on the weekends nowadays if you were looking for a good time to schedule these classes :wink:

1 Like

103 thru 106!

1 Like

I would do the beginner on up classes.

Nathan

2 Likes

I’m interested in all of the classes, that all sounds awesome.

1 Like

Have you scheduled any of the workshops yet?

By basic spot color separations, do you mean something simple like putting different colors on different layers when creating the design or something more akin to commercial printing where fundamental colors are dithered (requiring precise registration?)