Cold wind from the USSR visiting the Electronics Room tonight

Would you like to play a game?

1 Like

lets leave thermonuclear war to kim jong un and potus.

How about, a nice game of tick tack toe instead?

Probably not Tic Tac Toe first, but I’m going to try for Tetris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHAysykStU

There’s a fellow at vcfed.org that’s also apparently working on a MAME emulator for this system as well. He said it’s booting up into ODT. I can actually write instructions to it in octal, and hand-edit the contents of RAM and system registers. (No wonder the 8 & 9 keys didn’t work. :stuck_out_tongue:) Last night in an emulator, I was able to write a program in the ODT (using PDP-11 machine code) that adds the contents of R0 & R1 together, puts the result in R1, and then left-shifts it twice. I could tweak the program counter R7 to 1000 and “continue” it, or enter “1000G” at the prompt to run it.

Once I get myself a power step-up transformer, I’ll be able to do this on the real hardware rather than the emulator. As for which one will be quieter and more energy-efficient… but that’s beside the point :wink:

4 Likes

It works great, but I don’t want to have to lug a 40-lb computer to DMS each time I get an inkling to play with it. :wink: Now, mind you, I’m not gonna get one anywhere near as nice… this computer was already expensive enough just from the shipping standpoint :money_mouth_face:

Perhaps it would be simpler to try to replace the original power supply with a North American PC power supply. If it’s taking 5V@24A, 12V@15A, and -12V@1A, that should be pretty straightforward. You could keep the old supply in a box for completeness, or just disconnect and leave in place, and power from an external supply.

1 Like

Nah, I picked up a step-up transformer for like $50 on Amazon. I suppose it might be cool someday to put a North American power supply in there and run it off the regular mains, but it seemed like that’d possibly take a lot of extra wire-crimping and soldering… but it would save me from the ~30-year-old capacitors in that PSU now… :wink:

In case you have not seen a copy of this FAQ before…lots of information about your cold wind: ftp://ftp.dbit.com/pub/pdp11/faq/faq