Cold Cut saw blade charge introduced

Much like the wood shop in which the unfortunate person that trips the saw stop is expected to pony up money or the replacement - the machine shop has voted to do the same with the Cold Cut blades.

The main reason the cold cut blade has broken has been to poor clamping which makes it a user issue. Cold cut blades run about $165 each. We realize that there is wear and tear on it from use so if you’re the unlucky person that breaks one we will be requesting a $75 replacement fee. This is effective immediately.

6 Likes

Can you elaborate on the clamping issues so that those of us that use it sparingly can learn?

1 Like

simple - make sure it is clamped.
It is a pneumatic clamping system which you only have to manually clamp close to it. Engaging the clamp closes the rest of the way. It is still the responsibility of the user to simply reach up, tug on the workpiece to make sure it doesn’t move.

Other issues may have been with roundstock which can ‘lift’ or roll up as it is clamped. Again, the user should check that it is firmly secured. cheers!

@nicksilva: Wasn’t another issue was thin stock that bent and bound things?

2 Likes

And as I found out (although on the aluminum saw), small stock is also a problem.

Do you want me to try to find a place to add this information to the Machine Shop wiki?

2 Likes

yes, that is a good point, thanks.

yes. please and thank you.

1 Like

Done.

Resources Section:

Machine Training and Costs section:

PS. While I was editing the wiki page, I removed the names of a couple dozen “committee members” who are no longer members of DMS. I left everyone who is still a DMS member.

2 Likes

thank you. especially for removing the former members.

1 Like

Marshall thinks I’ll be accused of influencing the vote … but I left Walter in there just to even things out.

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Suppressing the vote! Never never clean up the voter rolls!

Next you will be suggesting voter id is “voter suppression” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Show me your RFID badge, mister!

Ok Schultz!

2 Likes

I see nothing.

2 Likes

It’s implanted. He has to twerk the badge readers to get in.

2 Likes

@nicksilva, I was the one who broke the blade. As I mentioned when I informed you of the breakage, I will pay the cost.

What is the process for doing so?

I can mail in a check, unless there is a preferred alternative.

I don’t think there is any expectation that you pay for the blade. This was a going forward action and was part of a broader discussion at the meeting on the increasing cutter, drill, saw blade costs.

1 Like

But if you choose to donate to the Machine shop, there are envelopes by the copier and deposit into the accounting box.