Coding for extreme noobs

I’ve decided I want to learn coding so I can do entry level robotics. I have no experience. One time I made an LED blink faster and slower. I know, you’re impressed.

Anyway if you have kids that want to learn to code or are an adult child level coder like myself Grasshopper has been great. Just thought I’d pass it on.

Also, ya know, request VCC consider bringing back coding for idiots lol.

3 Likes

Which language have you been using?

There have never been more choices for programming. I even flashed my Adafruit Flora to run Javascript just last week.

A good choice if you want to learn some basic coding is actually Scratch by MIT. It’s module based so you can start by simply drawing wires to pre-done coding components. You could alternatively pick up something like Python or JavaScript. These languages are rapidly growing in popularity and may be a good starting point.

If you go the python route may I humbly suggest https://automatetheboringstuff.com/? It’s a great little book for novices and will teach you how to get dangerous with python. After you learn one language the others come a lot more easily.

Just FYI I signed up again for the Makerspace today. I will be there often with a 13" mac with coding stickers on it. Feel free to come say hello and I would be happy to answer any questions you have. :smiley:

2 Likes

I have one word for you, young woman: Arduino

You could start at enterprise replicated SQL database, or AI neural networks, but it will only lead to a lifetime of misery and shame.

Do Arduino, it’s straight-up logical, there are zillions of tutorials, and the IOT is taking over. Resistance is Futile.

3 Likes

i was just about to post automate the boring stuff!

I have literally used the code snippets in there for real world code freelancing solutions.

it’s a great way to learn programming tasks that aren’t the kind of abstract boring stuff school sometimes requires.

1 Like

Grasshopper is teaching me javascript.

javascript is great. if you’re looking for a hit the ground running approach you can use glitch.com. it’s fantastic for building stuff asapizza and includes it’s own repl (dev environment)

2 Likes

Javascript is now my primary language. :smiley: Let me know if you have any questions if I am in the space.

1 Like

try freecodecamp:

its a 100% free hands on learning at your pass that one gets actual portfolio and certificate of work. Plus they have a local community and live support groups.

Also, ya know, request VCC consider bringing back coding for idiots lol.

Our focus for the next month or two is more on hardware and infosec for now.

So is anyone willing to host a javascript class for @Team_VCC?

3 Likes

Ehh i guess i could teach javascript. my first exam is almost done for compsci summer semester so i might have some free time later this week. hm

1 Like

Smashing! If one needs a “vm” for the class to play around with node.js then feel free to use your github credentials when logging into communitygrid.dallasmakerspace.org.

By default this will give students and instructors access to a lab environment which they can play around with for 48 hours before the environment resets. They get a full linux system, valid ssl, a virtual hostname off .communitygrid.dallasmakerspace.org, and a web based console/logger.

Oh, here’s an example docker-compose.yml one can add in with their github project:

---
version: '3.6'
services:
  application:
    networks:
      - public
    deploy:
      labels:
        traefik.enabled: 1
        traefik.priority: 10
        traefik.network: public
# virtual host port (application's http server should be running on this port)
        traefik.port: 8000
# Virtual host name
        traefik.frontend.rule: 'Host: guest.communitygrid.dallasmakerspace.org'
# Image name (could be pierrezemb/gostatic:latest [static html,css,js], or node:carbon-alpine [dynamic server side js])
    image: jwilder/whoami:latest

networks:
  public:
    external: true
    name: public

Of course use what one thinks is best and let me know if one needs any help with anything plus the link to the event so we can help promote the class.

1 Like

Does this VM have visual studio code and the LTS version of node installed? That would probably be enough to teach a class off of (using nodemon for auto refresh of a browser window).

I’ve kind of wanted to do some basic programming classes as well. But the above would be helpful to getting started. Alternatively I could pass instructions on how to get this set up. But a VM is nicer so time isn’t wasted on environment setup.

Does this VM have visual studio code and the LTS version of node installed? That would probably be enough to teach a class off of (using nodemon for auto refresh of a browser window).

Take a look at the documentation:
- https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Community_Grid_Compute_Cluster

and the online class:

1 Like

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines

if i do it, it’s gonna be like in a couple weeks. just got another assigment added to my workload :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

i was just going to use repl.it as the level of complexity involves opening a web browser. I’m not gonna waste the first ten minutes of class getting everyone on a specific VM and all that nonsense just to teach a few variables and web objects.

1 Like

Good idea. repl.it is actually a decent platform and does more than javascript like freecodecamp or jsfiddle.

It even looks like we could apply for a free Classroom account through repl.it. This could really make sense if more coding classes are going to be taught.

1 Like

hmm… we might be able to get the Classroom K-12 plan too. I could reach out to them and get more details unless one would like to volunteer?