Coal Powered Internal Combustion Engines

The completeness of combustion depends upon surface area. The finer the coal is ground, the more likely it will be totally burnt. In the same way that wood burns, but fine sawdust can explode.

No better voice for concern about the lives of disenfranchised Africans, than a white man from the land of Apartheid.

Regardless of how Musk might feel about local sourcing of cobalt, the US is estimated to have 21,000 metric tons of cobalt reserves. The DRC has 3.4 million metric tons. That kind of disparity doesn’t bode well for notions of local production, and just like with Apple, good intentions for cobalt don’t amount to much when they’re only worth the paper the agreements are written on. (The Palo Alto producer still uses Congo cobalt even though they said they’d start enforcing strict supply audits to reduce child mining)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/264930/global-cobalt-reserves/ <- cobalt reserves data
https://www.statista.com/statistics/264928/cobalt-mine-production-by-country/ <- annual cobalt production data
https://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/cobalt/ <- USGS commodity info on cobalt

And mind you this is just one of the many materials needed to make Li-Ion batteries, many of which come from impoverished developing countries around the world. It’s fine and good to not think about it, and I won’t say we should stop everything because of it, but the human cost is undeniable. And it’s disingenuous to say we’re saving the world one EV at a time, when all we’re really doing is trading urban smog for the lives of the faceless poor.

I’m no hypocrite, I won’t say you can’t have your EV, because I just as well can’t imagine how much less good my life would be without all of my Li-Ion batteries, but while I can live with just looking the other way, I really don’t like the idea of extolling them as the world’s salvation when the human cost is as high as it is.

1 Like

HUGE roll eyes to that statement.

I largely agree with the rest of what you said, but geez… that is just ridiculous. (And more than just a little racist.)

One could nitpick this statement and point to some differences in proportions (i.e. less steel, more aluminum), but this is generally true. And one suspects that Tesla is no better than their contemporaries at making their vehicles more easily-serviced and more easily-recycled than their contemporaries either. But that’s a neutral point.

True, however we’ve been mining lithium for decades, so it’s not particularly novel to EV production. The mass of lithium in an EV is surprisingly small if I recall, with the other components - such as the still can - being most of the mass of a battery pack.

The primary use for nickel is alloying steel, something that we’ve been doing for centuries. Even during the brief reign of NiMH bartteries for EV’s during the last spurt of CA compliance-mobiles in the late 90s, nickel consumption for EV’s wasn’t even a rounding error relative to other mundane usage.

Indeed a significant element in most Li-Ion cell chemistries. But much like the mass of lithium being low in a battery pack, suspect the same goes for cobalt.

True, but there’s a staggering amount of copper in modern ICE vehicles as well. Much of this is due to the automotive sector’s inertia using direct-power switching for everything. Such as a typical 4-door sedan that has ~30 wires going to the driver’s door (L/R mirror controls, 4x power window controls, power locks, mirror turn signals, etc) as opposed to a more sane power/comm bus solution.

Most higher-efficiency products are more expensive because there are greater inherent costs associated with their production. Pay an upfront cost on the CAPEX to realize savings on the OPEX, which is where most of the costs pile up in the TCO equation for assets such as automobiles.

The tragedy of so much resource extraction is how little of it we recycle once those parts are end-of-life. Aluminum in particular suffers this tragedy since it’s perhaps 5% the net energy cost to smelt it down and re-use it that it is to mine bauxite and refine it into aluminum.

I’m sure there are those out there that will seriously argue that if we’d just all switch to EV’s tomorrow the skies would clear, the forests would regrow, and extinct species would spontaneously re-appear. I don’t take these folks seriously and it’s unfortunate that they’re given so much credence.

With ever-larger swaths of our society built on conspicuous consumption and Madison Avenue working tirelessly to instruct on on what signals they send, there will always be wankers that think making a specific purchase sends some powerful signal. For many decades the signal for cars was that of success, opulence, and attracting desirable mates. With EV’s, Mad Ave has fairly easily transitioned to virtue signaling such as the nonsense I alluded to in the previous paragraph.

The ideal for me with EV’s is that of…

• Greater net efficiency EV’s are ~80% efficient at the wall plug vs ICE being ~25% efficient at the pump
  • Fuel source decoupling We can make electricity dozens of ways and distribute it cheaply without shipping physical goods; liquid/gaseous fuels have but a few economical precursors and have to be physically transported
  • Pollution Centralization EV’s don’t pollute directly, instead pushing that pollution to the power station. A few thousand power stations - typically located outside cities - can manage pollution controls better than hundreds of millions of automobiles
3 Likes

Your post about Coal-slurry fuel is spot on target for a thread titled “coal powered internal combustion” since this is about a fuel that could be used for exactly that purpose. All of the posts that follow, about the environmental impacts of manufacturing EVs vs ICE, are staggeringly off-topic. It is a good topic and should be discussed somehwere, but definitely not here.

1 Like

Thank you for noticing.
I find the topic intriguing, simply because it CAN be done. For the general populace, I think if you said “you can run a piston-powered engine off a slurry (mixture–because you would have to clarify that) of water and coal” they’d tell you you’re nuts. I would have before I found out it HAS been done. I mean, I know coal burns, but mixing it with water and putting it inside my car engine? No way!
Buy yes, Timmy, it has been done.
Is it “the way of the future”?
Is it “less emissive”?
Probably not.
But that doesn’t stop it being intriguing…

Here’s a (possibly) interesting read on the topic, and it leans towards “science-y”, in that it’s something called an “Abstract” and uses tables with numbers and figures with forward slashes and even electrical diagrams and stuff…
https://www.osti.gov/scitech/servlets/purl/10104699

According to same, test case was a “Cooper-Bessemer L Series” engine, so here’s a vid of one of those…

1 Like

Here’s another science-y paper on emissions, specifically.
https://www.osti.gov/scitech/biblio/10137691
They planned to fit it in a locomotive.
They don’t say which GE locomotive, so here’s a generic commercial with some GE locomotives in it

This is great, really answers the question of whether you can make coal clean (at least for particulates) by grinding it finer, short answer no. Still needs lots of cleaning up to be as clean as diesel, which is no sweet-smelling rose itself. “Clean coal” really is absurdly wishful thinking by people whose livings depend on coal; trying to make coal attractive is like putting lipstick on a pig. There are much easier ways to make clean fuel.

Nevertheless as you say, the fact that this works at all is amazing. Who would expect soggy coal, or soggy anything, to burn?

1 Like

On topic, the coal industry has always been interested in coal gasification in general and the methanol-to-gasoline process in particular. I gather there are a number of serious proposals out there for refining at the mine-mouth for greater net efficiency than transporting the coal to refining facilities. One wonders if there are inherent costs involved with this process that make it noncompetitive with fracked shale, itself costlier than regular crude oil.

1 Like

Only what I’ve read, and that Adolf attempted it on several combat/troop transports, including Volkswagen Kubelwagens in WWII (when trying to conserve oil/petroleum resources for the Luftwaffe).
The wikipedia entry is entertaining…

http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/HOLZBRENNER%20VOLKSWAGENS.htm

Doesn’t South Africa supposedly produce gas from coal? Heard this from a native who’s in the auto industry over there.

1 Like

Probably.
South Africa has an interesting energy history, given some of the other influences on it. The one thing they have is coal, so most other things are (or were in recent history) made from it.
But “coal gas” shouldn’t be confused with liquid fuel made from coal, of which there are numerous different types. As a possibly interesting distraction, I heard back-when that most methanol in the USA was made from coal.

Yup, that’s what I was told.
Seems like they had to become fairly self sufficient due to trade embargoes stemming from anti apartheid sentiments at the time.

2 Likes