CNC Woodworking Help

Looking for some cnc help for a project if someone either has their own machine or access to the makerspace one. I would love to learn myself but it sounded like from other topics in the forum that classes are backed up. Any thoughts or interest?

1 Like

Hey, I would be happy to help! What’s your project? Do you have CAD already?

3 Likes

Would you mind if I come and observe?

Feel free. More characters

Great. Just let me know the date and time. I’ve used CNC (Roland MDX) and VCarve before.

Hi Hanna, thanks so much! I have this mockup that I did in Carbide Create but it would probably need some iteration. I can describe in more detail but its essentially a grid for cap art that I’m creating so I’m basically trying to create raised bumps on a flat surface kind of like the top of a lego brick. then I would glue the caps on to the raised equidistant bumps. Let me know if this image does not come through. Newbie in the forum here!

This is doable on the CNC… but it isn’t the tool I would use for this. Lots of machining time and waste material. Cutting a dowel in to cookies for the pedestals and gluing, gluing the caps on the flat, or CNC cutting smaller recessed circles for the cap edges.

Looks like you should use a smaller tool for the job, it looks like the circles aren’t being cut fully (which makes me think they may not be laid out evenly).

3 Likes

No reason to avoid CNC. Pretty sure it would be safer & faster than cutting thin dowel pieces and gluing them into the correct position. Hopefully @Hanna_Kessler will be able to adjust the layout and pick proper bits for the task. Of course the wild card at DMS seems to be access. The faster part assumes you can get Multicam access in a reasonable period of time. Feel free to reach out if you or Hanna have questions.

(I was the last DMS Multicam SIG leader. Have my own machine & shop now.)

Hi Bert I think you are right (not to dismiss Mat’s input, really appreciate those thoughts). The model needs to be tweaked as I was just messing around on cam for the first time. This is the end result I’m looking for. Currently I’m filling the fragile foil wine tops with epoxy and gluing them to wood. Skipping that step by having a template with the bumps would be a huge process improvement. Whether you or Hanna I’m happy to compensate you for your time! I love to learn but I’m primarily looking for a process solution at this time :slight_smile:

Message sent.