CNC Training HAAS and Plastics Router

Hi I’m looking to get trained on the HAAS and the Shapeoko CNCs. I’d be really grateful if anyone is available to give me the training!

The Haas is a multi step process. I would suggest some classes like the Bridgeport mill first. The shapeoko xxl is about to undergo a major upgrade and we will ramp up the classes after that.

1 Like

I did the online Bridgeport training, is there other pre-requisites you recommend?

Bridgeport certification is a mandatory prerequisite for the HAAS. You need to be looking on the calendar for the Bridgeport Part 2, i.e., machine-side training.

Then you should do as much manual machining as you can, on either the Bridgeport or its clone, the Pasma. CNC-machining is more complex than manual machining and you need the manual machining as background.

Also, how are your CAD skills? If you can’t CAD some parts then you won’t be able to machine anything other than the required check off part. You will forget everything you’ve learned unless you’re ready to put it into immediate use.

1 Like

I’m pretty capable at CAD, manual machining, and I have experience making parts with CNC routers from CAD to CAM to actually machining the part myself. How often are the HAAS and Bridgeport trainings offered? I don’t see either offered in the calendar.

They tend to be posted as needed.

Isn’t it @BobKarnaugh who does the machine-side class for the Bridgeport? If he doesn’t have a line of folks, he may do that one-on-one. Hass definitely never makes the Calendar. Requirements are tight enough that it’s geared to the folks who fit the requirements.

Up to now I have been the one offering the HAAS and MasterCAM classes on which the HAAS class is based. Unfortunately, I am indisposed for the next few months.

Bob just gave a class on the Bridgeport on Saturday. They are posted as the demand is needed.

Phil,

I usually give the Bridgeport class every two months. If some one has prior mill experience I may give the interested person a “checkout” to find if they really need the intro class or not at any time that the two of us can agree on. First step is review the online self study and take the quiz.

Regards,
Bob

I have done the online bridgeport training and the quiz. Can we schedule a meetup to review if I need the intro class? My schedule is super flexible!

Is there anyone else in the DMS that can give the HAAS class or has done so in the past before you took over them?

The Haas class has been recently re-vamped. Nick has been the only one who has taught it at this point. We don’t see or haven’t seen anyone else jumping up & down to teach it as of yet. The Haas class is a very in-depth class that takes a lot of preparation just to give. Those who take the class, 99% or more, get overwhelmed or didn’t realize there was that much to running the machine, then don’t get checked out on it. The cost at the last time we had a bad crash to replace the spindle was close to 7,000 in 2016.

We(The Machine Shop Committee) are looking into other equipment that the barrier to entry is much less. Example would be a Tormach Mill or similar.

3 Likes

Adam,

Very well, I see your name in the QuizPass AD so you are good to go for machine side instruction. I plan to be at the makerspace Sunday 1-5 to assist with the air line replacement project. If you come and get me out of suite 104 work space during that time I’ll take a break from that to give you a checkout on either the Bridgeport or Plasma mill (about 20 minutes or so). If you checkout as knowledgeable your name will be put in the Bridgeport authorized user list with out having to go through the 3 hour intro class.

When you look for me over there where the air line is being installed. You should see a shortish, bald, semi geezer in a sleeveless shirt. There is a really high probability that is I.

Regards,
Bob

philmcjoe
September 2

I have done the online bridgeport training and the quiz. Can we schedule a meetup to review if I need the intro class? My schedule is super flexible!

Haha I love the self description! I’ll be there tomorrow, thanks! :+1: