CNC Router Training (wood only)

@jeffbob We will plan on having another training. Most likely in 2 weeks. Alyssa is teaching the class on Tuesday. Once we create the event we will announce it here and on the calendar. It just come down to the instructors availability.

@Ed_Krohne It is in the works. We have the bits and we have the air cooler because we will not be using liquid coolant, but it hasn’t been mounted. Our current concerns are how to collect the chips and not have cross contamination of aluminum or other materials ending up in wood projects. We were told by the manufacturer of our dust collection system not to use the same dust collector for plastics as we do for wood. Hooking up a shop vac to it might work but since we haven’t mounted the air chiller we aren’t sure as it might just blow chips all over the place. This is not my day job so I still have a lot to learn. Lastly, yes the wood training will be a prerequisite for the aluminum and 3D classes.

If anyone wishes to become a trainer please let me know. Please realize this means you will actually need to teach classes. This option is not for those who simply want to work on their own projects.

Thanks,

I’m confused. Will the wood training be a prerequisite for plastic as well as aluminum?

Thanks for letting me know where you’re at.

Alex, Thank you for the quick response. Now I can start planning my afternoon nap.I am going to take the HAAS class later this month. I think that an educated membershipleads to all of us helping one another. I plan on doing my part. I am an amateur wood turner and was at the shop this weekend. They need a wider variety of tools. I have some low dollar, but just as effective as expensive ones, tools I can bring.Just let me know. I plan on being there at least once a week. I do have a day job.They also need the tool to clean up the grinding wheels. It is only about 12 bucks and I think I have one to donate here at the house. I switched from stone wheels to Carbon Boron Nitride wheels. They never need to be replaced, don’t get hot, and put on a much better edge, which is the most important thing. I also picked up some bar type furniture clamps at an auction last year. They are nothing fancy but will hold things down.I saw on the blog that there was not a plethora of them. I can only use so many so maybe the club can use them. It is an exciting prospect to be part of a community based group. I met three new people on Sunday and two gave me some great information and I gave some mediocre info to the third. Well, off to my day job. Jeff WhitcombAll American Relocation an agent for Mayflower Transit

2100 Bowling GreenDenton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

[email protected][email protected]website-www.aacorp-usa.comwww.linkedin.com/in/jeffwhitcomb/“The only sense that matters is humor, without it all the others are useless.” JCW On 05/04/15, AlexRhodes<[email protected]> wrote: AlexRhodesAlex RhodesBoard Member

May 4

@jeffbob We will plan on having another training. Most likely in 2 weeks. Alyssa is teaching the class on Tuesday. Once we create the event we will announce it here and on the calendar. It just come down to the instructors availability.

@Ed_Krohne It is in the works. We have the bits and we have the air cooler because we will not be using liquid coolant, but it hasn't been mounted. Our current concerns are how to collect the chips and not have cross contamination of aluminum or other materials ending up in wood projects. We were told by the manufacturer of our dust collection system not to use the same dust collector for plastics as we do for wood. Hooking up a shop vac to it might work but since we haven't mounted the air chiller we aren't sure as it might just blow chips all over the place. This is not my day job so I still have a lot to learn. Lastly, yes the wood training will be a prerequisite for the aluminum and 3D classes.

If anyone wishes to become a trainer please let me know. Please realize this means you will actually need to teach classes. This option is not for those who simply want to work on their own projects.

Thanks,

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/cnc-router-training-wood-only/1874/82 in your browser.

Previous Replies

Ed_KrohneEdward Krohne

May 4AlexRhodes:

Plastics and Aluminum will be covered in a later class along with 3D carving.

Is this in the works? Is wood training a prerequisite to plastic?

jeffbobJeff Whitcomb

May 4

Alex, I am new to the Space. Do you plan on having another CNC training?

I am a novice woodworker but love to learn about new tools.

Thanks,

Jeff

RoboGregGreg Needel

May 4

Anyone snag a ticket for the Tuesday class that can't make it?

mattraganMatt Ragan

May 1

Curses. Don't think I can get from Austin @ 4:50pm back to Dallas by 6:30pm. I guess I will need to catch the next one.

apipeAlyssa Pipe

May 1

5 tickets remaining now

To respond, reply to this email or visit http://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/cnc-router-training-wood-only/1874/82 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

I was wondering when the accounts were going to be setup to connect to the machine to run vCarve so I can setup my ‘test’ piece to pass the test to be able to use the CNC router. I have tried several times today and my account DMS\traderhut doesn’t seem to be able to connect to the machine.

Just wondering, as I’d like to be able to cut some things this week /weekend.

-Chert

check with these people also [email protected]

@AlexRhodes can check later for the IDs he input, but I just tried locally and I dont see traderhut as valid.
Perhaps your login id for the domain is different.

.125 end mill result pocket

2 Likes

I have added another class for May 31st starting at 11AM. Sorry it took a while for this one to get posted. I also upped the class to allow 12 people.

2 Likes

Aaaaah… I’ve been waiting for another weekend class… but out of town family will be in town on Sunday…

…the wait continues…

:wink: :slight_smile:

Are there plans for another training class at some point in the relatively near future?

1 Like

FYI, next class on Wednesday 6/24 at 6:30. Tickets are available at: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/cnc-router-training-wood-only-tickets-required-tickets-17405226501

Cool, I’m in on that. May be a tad late since I get off at 6 and have to drive from Denton plus we sometimes have an emergency or odds and ends to tie up first.

I’m in! Thanks Kent (1,2,3,4,5)

Here is a YouTuber who used the inlay feature with a vbit.

1 Like

Anyone know the next class date? I just joined and would love to get started with this wonderful tool.

The class has been added to the calendar. It will be July 8th from 6:30PM to 10:30 PM

Tickets can be purchased here. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cnc-router-training-wood-only-ticket-required-tickets-17613402160

as always, you must be a member in good standing to attend.

See you there.

1 Like

@AlexRhodes, any way we can add a couple extra seats to the training this evening?

I am sorry but we won’t be adding any more tickets at this time.

We limit classes to make sure the supervisors don’t get over run with the tests. The class could handle more people but currently we have a hard time keeping up with testing people out.

Do we have a compression end mill in the tool library? Preferably a 1/4". Example linked below.
https://buildyourcnc.com/Item/endmill-compression-onsrud-!25-cut-2-flute
If not, I’d like to request that one be purchased to mitigate blowout in plywood.

Thank you Alex, Kent and team for your commitment and time in supervising/teaching CNC routing skills.

While we have one 1/2" compression bit, it seems to me like there’s some difficulty in using them…

For on thing you’d definitely want a lead in area. Without a leadin, you’re upcutting the top of the area you want to cut. You would also have to cut the rest of it in one pass at a much slower than normal rate due to chipload. This would most likely mean also using a plunge length in the lead in to get to depth.

IMO, it would be easier (and much cheaper!) to use a downcut bit for all but the last pass. Then use an upcut for the last pass at the starting depth of the previous passes. Sure it requires a tool change, but I would guess it’d still be quicker due to feed rate, and plunge/lead in you’d have to use with an actual compression bit.

3 Likes