CNC Router Training (wood only)

It’s been a long time coming and it’s finally here. The first class that is open to everyone will be March 25th and I will be creating another event for the 28th. I have created the Eventbrite and tickets will go live at 8PM. They are $50 and this is to offset usage fees. We plan on using fees from the classes to pay for more end mills, spoil boards and anything else that may come up. This is very similar to the way the Haas Mill class works. We decided not to charge per usage as we didn’t want people to unsafely rush/use the machine. This isn’t to say it will be this way forever. If we find there is abuse of this (you decide to start a cabinet shop operation and run the machine 14 hours a day) we reserve the right to review this.

That being said, The class will cover importing a file to V Carve Pro, setting up tool paths and exporting them to our machine. Everything you will need to know to get you started making signs, cutting out shapes and so on.

From then you will have to prove you know how to use the machine with a test file. This will grant you supervised access till it is deemed by the supervisors that you know how to run the machine.

Plastics and Aluminum will be covered in a later class along with 3D carving.

Please post all questions here so that answers can be seen by others.

-Alex

8 Likes

Seems like a silly question, but should the ticket be purchasable from the link provided?
I can see it.
It says there are 8 tickets remaining, but there is no “buy” link…

Sales go live at 8PM.

Thank you!
I swear I can read.
:smiley:

Would making a sign like this be possible after this class or is 2.5D texturing = 3D that will be taught later? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lCImIIB-k

Looking at his end simulation, it looks totally doable.

The software he’s using is either V-Carve Pro or Aspire, but it really doesn’t look like he’s doing any 3D at all.

To be absolutely clear, he’s doing “profiles”, “pockets”, and “texturing”. All of those operations are available in V-Carve Pro.

Aspire is the upgrade from V-Carve Pro that does full 3D surfacing etc. with 3D assets. All of the assets he used in that sign were almost certainly 2D.

3 Likes

Rats, can’t make it the 25th! I’ll keep an eye out for the one on the 28th.

Wow - just 8 tickets at a time. Is it fair to assume there will be more of these ‘101’ sessions following up - based on demand?

Yes, we will have another one on the 28th, then more after that depending on the trainers schedules.

1 Like

Never mind. I found the info on the CNC Router Info Thread.

What types of files can be imported into V Carve Pro? Some representative examples OK … do not need exhaustive list. I’m trying to determine if I can generate the files to get started.

Thanks!
Chris

For vector: DXF, DWG, EPS (Encapsulated PostScript), Adobe Illustrator, PDF, and SKP (which is SketchUp, but haven’t tried that yet).

For images (used to trace bitmaps etc.): BMP, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, and PNG.

Of note, there is no SVG support for vectors and those will have to be converted. For a SVG that I grabbed off the internet that had all sorts of crazy lines in the background etc., it was actually easier to export it to a high resolution PNG and trace that bitmap once inside V-Carve.

No 3d files/geometry? OBJ or DXF import would really be nice…

Looks sold out after 120 seconds

1 Like

Not on V-Carve Pro. At some point we’ll probably upgrade to Aspire which does 3D, and I’m sure it supports 3D files. From their website it looks like STL, 3D DXF, OBJ, 3DS, VRML, 3DM, SKP file formats.

Let us know when the March 28th class goes live. Wow! Sold out already!

Vcarve doesn’t do 3d but Enroute does. It will load STL files.

Thanks,

Alyssa

It looks like they opened up some more spots for Wednesday!

I don’t know what happened but 2 out of the 8 spots are still open. I never checked earlier to verify the 8 spots were taken. So 2 spots still remain.

Eventbrite is doing something weird and I don’t know why. It will say sold out, but still have tickets left. It showed sold out about an hour ago, but there is still one ticket left. I checked back now and the ticket is available. So it looks like a free for all as to who gets tickets. May the odds be ever in your favor. God Speed. Cliche #3.

-Alex

Looks as if it’s truly sold out now; do you know when the tickets for the 28th will go on sale?

Jon