CNC Router Assistance

Hi All! I need some help with someone who has been certified to use the CNC Router. I’ve been unable to take the class. I have 2 designs for chairs that I want to make into a template. I could probably do it with a jig, but because it’s a template, I would like the precision of the cnc router. I can send you the file in any format you need and of course I will bring the supplies. I can work 100% around your schedule. These are all simple, not intricate cuts (no crazy designs). There will be a total of 8 cuts (4 pieces same, 2 same, 2 same) in all. I estimate the time at between 30-45m. Please let me know if anyone is available to help me with this project.

Thanks

Please send me what you have. (Or post the files on the forum.)

Bear in mind the MultiCam is not feeling well. It may be a while before it is back in service…
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/issue-multicam-cnc-spindle/21954

2 Likes

Brian thanks! HMM_BenChair (1)[1].pdf (25.4 KB)

I uploaded the pics. I only need the sides cut out. If the CNC router is not available, I may be able to do this with the laser cutter, but I don’t know if it will be large enough. Let me know if the CNC router can cut this out and what file format you need it in.

Thanks

As far as I can tell, the plans are for this…
http://www.homemade-modern.com/ep52-lounge-chair-1/
…which do not match the picture (the picture is even labeled “2” versus an expected “1.0”).

Are you making the one in the plans or the one in the picture?

The picture @obiswill posted is from Modern Builds.
http://www.modernbuilds.com/diy-modern-outdoor-lounge-chair

Doing it per the pic (2")to start out. I’m sure I’ll be fitteling around with it until I get it how I want it to be because I will starting off with plywood, but end up making it with bamboo… Yes that is the design from modern builds and/or Ryobi Nation. Thanks

Ugh. Sorry about that. I missed the “2 designs” in your original post. Now I understand.

Yes. Easily. Once it is back in business.

What plywood / thickness do you have in mind?

I’m thinking 3/4" thickness should be sufficient. I will be modifying the dimensions as per the plans as I don’t think they’re best suited for the alterations I’ll be making. Any idea when the multicam will be back up?

The first one (HMM_BenChair (1)[1].pdf4) imported directly into VCarve. A few minutes of cleanup left two ready-to-use vectors. As far as I can tell they are even the correct size. That one is trivial.

It looks like you are going to need a full sheet (4 by 8). I will create and post a VCarve file later tonight.

1 Like

Thanks! I had figured both would use a 4 x 8 sheet. Let me know the day/time and I’ll be there with the sheets to get them cut out. I’ll plan to work on the changes while there until I get the dimensions and configurations how I want them to be. I Appreciate the assist!

You mentioned you want templates. I assume that means you want just one side of each chair (a total of three pieces). If that’s the case then one sheet of plywood should be ample.

We will have to wait until the MultiCam is back in business.

This VCarve file just includes one side of the first chair (HMM_BenChair (1)[1].pdf4)…
http://www.zygomorphic.com/obiswill.crv

If you want both sides included let me know.

I do not have the skill necessary to convert the ep52 picture to a vector (Bezier curve). Someone else will have to help you with that. VCarve has support for curve fitting. A rough outline (straight lines) may work.

Supported file formats include…
http://support.vectric.com/aspire-questions/item/what-vector-file-formats-can-be-imported

This list is from the VCarve File / Import command…
dxf dwg eps ai pdf pvc v3d v3m crv skp svg

2 Likes

One side is all that is needed. I will convert the ep52 pic to vector. Any eta on when the multicam will be back operational?

The answer is currently above my pay grade.

Hahaha! No problem. I’ll check around

Brian, I think the multicam is back up. Let me know when you’re available. thanks

Not doing the ep52?
​​

I’m doing both. I’ll upload the file for ep52…tomorrow, thursday at the latest

Hi Brian, sorry for the delay. I’ve been trying to studying Fusion 360 so I can do these files myself. Suddenly things got crazy at work (I’m in medicine) and had to work long days. Anyways attach find another file. I like this one better than the other design. Let me know when you’re available and I’ll meet you there (also let me know your fav 6 pack of choice). My schedule is wide open because I’m off until September while I’m working on my Master thesis.

On a side note, do you know when there will be another multicam class?

Sorry file attached. I have this in .dfx file format, but it won’t let me upload it. What file format do you need it in for the multicam?

You can upload ZIP files. The contents are not checked.

Should both side panels have slots?

Are you still doing both chairs?

DXF is a good choice. We can try VCarve nesting.

I believe @AlexRhodes tries to schedule a class about once a month. The last class was about a week ago. Watch the Events calendar.