CNC Plasma Cutter needs routine maintenance

We’ve got a lot of slag buildup on the gridwork, missing support points (who’s not remembering to move off of the blue dots??), and the gantry squeaks as it moves.

I propose to take it offline sometime in the coming weeks for an inspection and lube/repair where necessary.

1 Like

I have been thinking the very same thing.
I have a squirrelly summer and limited free time, but I’d like to be involved.

I agree. We need to call plasmacam to see about some parts as well.

1 Like

Presumably we can use the plasmacam itself to cut out the new grid, and I would argue that we should make the new grid pieces sooner than later.

If we can get the necessary files from Plasmacam, I’d be happy to volunteer my time and consumables to cut out the new grid pieces.

3 Likes

Can this machine cut a new grid? Absolutely. Does it require repositioning the stock because the parts are longer than cut area? Yes. If you have watched Keith Fenner’s YouTube channel, you know he is quite skilled at plasma cam and a skilled machinist, but he says that a new grid kit is cheap enough from plasmacam that he buys them rather than cuts them. I’d suggest getting a quote from plasmacam, including shipping, and compare against the price of the raw steel required. I’m guessing there will be at least a couple 3x5 scraps left over, because I don’t think two pieces can nest end to end out of a 4x8 sheet. Maybe efficiency goes up if you can get a 4x10 cut in half.

2 Likes

Let me know when you want to do the maintenance and I’ll be there.

1 Like

I’m in for helping depending on when we do this. I’m pretty sure I have the files for a new grid that someone posted on plasmaspider I’ll go through my files this weekend

1 Like