CNC Plasma Cutter discussion

Testing air quality in relation to the tools should be pretty easy to do.

I spoke to someone yesterday about the air in there, and it seemed related to general use.

Better data is welcomed. And respirators too.

I don’t remember seeing a sheet metal feature in Fusion. I know Inventor has sheet metal features.

Not that it’s a big deal but JD2 one comes with SheetCam. The link between the computer and CNC is also wireless on their machine.

1 Like

It was introduced not too long before this post, asking for the upgrade on the jump server (which I think isn’t done, so you still won’t see it on there).

1 Like

I fairly recently had an opportunity to use the Vistory TS table. It uses Hyperthem but it is an entry level industrial machine and is too much for DMS. I it starts at about 40k and up from there.

What a machine though 5x10 table, AutoCAD capable, fire bed and nesting software capabilities, Thermal Dynamics controller and more than I’m not even aware of I’m sure.

Does ESAB have a light industrial/hobbyist table?

How about Baileigh, do they have CNC Plasma hobby tables?

1 Like

Esab doesn’t have a table for our market.

I did want to stay away from Baileigh on this one. It does use BobCam though. From what I have read on it is repackaged. I can put them on the list though, they have also offer a 5% Discount for us in the past.

1 Like

Have you checked out the ShopSabre Sidekick 4. I believe it starts at about 13k without a plasma machine. Other than the website material, I know nothing about it. But the gantry looks substantial and it seems to have some really nice options.

Shop Sabre has 8” gantry clearance with a 10” option. Nice on that. Not sure about their post purchase support, but…

I believe it also has the option of a 4th axis to cut pipe or more roundish things. The 8” - 10” gantry must be for the round stock, etc. I just noticed the beefyness of the gantry, not sure I’ve seen a table that small with a gantry like that.

Plus, It is USA made as well.

1 Like

Looks interesting for sure.

I like the fact that they have the tables built in. Looks like it might load the settings automatically.

For a cheaper alternative, there’s always a more DIY solution. Cnc router parts is one example. From what I hear they’re very responsive to customers and helping them get setup.

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro-cnc-plasma-c-68_67.html?osCsid=ert48qoh7gfn2as2k58i65fpe6

Multicam has a 4th axis as well on some of their machines. I don’t see it being really practical though.

4th Axis’s great on plasma cnc’s, you can put a lot of different kinds of profile into pipe, one major example is that it makes it easier to make complex frames with lots of members out of pipe because you can cut anywhere from normal to absurd angles for perfect saddle joints and have them all be the perfect length.

4 Likes

Does anyone know (sorry if I missed it) whether any of these softwares are multi-user friendly (as in, does NOT require administrator access to the local machine just to use; settings are saved per-user rather than per-computer/controller and/or per-cutter, etc.)?

I would like to find a way to make this more obvious (and/or more obviously intended for this purpose). I always tell my classes there is allegedly one available, but I cannot ever find it. Probably lazy-ass setting in on my part, but at least in my head, that assertion is 100% legitimate.

Maybe a stowage box for it (that it’ll NEVER be in, I know). Maybe stencil it with high temp paint CNC PLASMA. Just spitballing…

1 Like

I had set it on the shelf just to the right edge of the PlasmaCam - about as obvious I could put it - then it was put elsewhere. But I agree.

2 Likes

I’m all about DIY, but in this case, I think it is in our best interest for the volunteers to be doing other items.

While true, I for some reason didn’t have tube/ pipe in mind.
This was the video I saw of the multicam 4th axis, which shows plate, maybe thats why. For all I know they may use a different system now.

3 Likes

That appears to be a 5 Axis plasma cutter, useful if you want to build a personal F-117

I agree with you on that one, more trouble than it’s worth, although I am sure its a really useful feature in the rare occasions you need decent bevels on your plate.

Now that I think about it a CNC plasma cutter specifically for pipe would be really easy to make and would hardly take up any room.

1 Like

I just got of the phone with ShopSabre, It sounds like they have a pretty good product.
They have a tracing ability as well, so you can cut out a cardboard template & trace it into the machine.

2 Likes

ShopeSabre makes great CNC routers, I would imagine their plasma tables are similar quality.

They told me that they did change up the design of the Gantry this year.