CNC Knife Project Update....a week later

Thanks to everyone that came out last week! After the meeting we attempted to create a fixture with an existing steel plate, but like everything machining, we couldn’t jump in and zip a couple of holes quickly, so making the fixture will require us to program it and put it into the HAAS for machining.

For those who weren’t able to join us, this project group is meant to produce a finished knife (or two) for everyone that wants to participate, and along the way we’ll learn a bunch.

Currently:

• We are creating a fixture to hold a prototype knife at this moment (Link to the file https://a360.co/2XT2owh). For those who have better machining experience, I would appreciate the help in programming the part.
  • Once we have the fixture completed, we’ll also be programming the knife (@fender84 could you publicly share the file?) and then cut out a test piece in aluminum, then in steel. The point is to see how much support we’ll need on the front end and see what kind of tolerance we can hold.
  • After we’ve created a prototype, we’ll refine the fixture (if necessary) and then buy our first round of steel (1095 if I remember correctly) and begin machining our first set of knives.
  • Once we’ve machined our knives (with the help of our certified HAAS CNC operators), we will heat treat the knives and make handles and finish them out (including a sheath).

At the point we’ve all completed our first knives and are familiar with the process, we’ll begin with a series of classes to help everyone design their own knives.

Next meeting will be once we’ve completed our fixture and programmed our knife prototype. If you can help (or want to try your hand at programming) I’d appreciate assistance in programming the fixture and knife.

If I forgot your name or couldn’t tag you, please let me know.

@richcase
@oriabovol
@georgekellas
@apparently_weird
@ajmiller1111
@malcolmputer
@Darkest_knite
@kalamkars
@kimlacar
@frogbit
@Apollo
@jendrew12
@dsquared
@kathrynfox
@HankCowdog
@Scott_Blevins
@fender84
@talkers
@Ferromancer

6 Likes

Yes, I can do that asap.

Is this a HAAS project or a knife project?
You want 20 to 40 knives,
The knife stock I’ve seen advertised is 1 1/2 inches wide. The two Vises we have are 6”x 8.8” opening, you could do 8 at a time.
Alternatively the HAAS workspace is 16” X 30” which would do all 40.
Are you planning on just milling the outline, or adding fullers and the like with the HAAS?
Assuming a knife length of about 8”

3 Likes

my guess is you’re planning to use a ball nose bit to create the knive edge (angle). this will take forever plus a day, especially with more than one. Personally, I would cut the fixture to hold the stock at an angle. then you could efficiently cut the knife edge with a straight enmill in a simple straight line in one or two passes.
I assume some screw holes in the stock for a hold down.

7 Likes

I might have beaten Tim to it :wink: I’ve attached mine here: Fixed_Knife v5.zip (738.8 KB)

I’ve been playing with the CAM, and I have a sample CAM setup in my file above for my version of the knife, but it will still need some modifications once we’ve got the fixture together. I went with the same spacing from Tim Dugger’s knife, so the fixture from his should work for mine just fine.

Yes. It’s a project group for the people who are and aren’t trained on the HAAS to play with machining. We have a couple HAAS trained people who can give advice and possibly (depending on the machine shop rules) run jobs for the people who aren’t HAAS trained.

On mine? I’m planning on having the blank be “ready to heat treat” coming out of the HAAS with all of the 3D profile of the knife completed. Not sure what the class is doing, but one of the “problem statements” that caused the group to form in the first place is the time and energy spent on profiling the blade being a PIA.

This is why we’re supposed to ask a machinist before we go full bore down the path :slight_smile:

While I was playing with the CAM, I learned that lesson the fun way really fast. Current estimate in Fusion is 36 minutes of machining time to do the 3D blade profile (per side!).

@matthshooter I still think ~36 min per knife side is better than grinding, what about you?

1 Like

Unless the grinder is being flooded with coolant, I’d say machining with coolant on Haas much better for the metallurgy since it doesn’t get hot.

Is metal stock forged or just hot/cold rolled?

1 Like

Typically the metal for this would be annealed, but heat-treatable. So we’d have to keep it cool for machining and grinding.

1 Like

In conventional knife manufacturing, the angled fixture is used to hold the blade when it passes through the CNC grinder.

4 Likes

I believe the plan was to purchase fully annealed 1095 bar stock.

1 Like

Hey Matt,

I keep forgetting to be added to the list please. I missed the first meeting, but can also throw my hat in the ring if anyone wants to make hybrid, or fully resin knife scale blanks. I’ll be happy to teach a class on this. Making them is what originally got me into resin casting to begin with. Some my work, some not, but here’s some examples of things we can do.

Link

2 Likes

I love everything about this post

1 Like

I would love this

Are you still doing classes?

1 Like

Funny you should ask, I was just talking to @themitch22 about getting this group back running again.

2 Likes

I’m interested if your able to.

1 Like

how did this build go back in 2021? Anyone still around machining blades? I am a knife maker (stock removal) and definitely interested in learning to machine blades. Fixed, and folders.