CNC help - want to learn and operate the CNC machine

Would love to get certified on using the big Multicam CNC router in woodshop, appreciate if anyone could teach, happy to pay/trade. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

I’m interested in getting certified and trained to use the CNC machine please. Anyone can teach this class.

Hello,
This is a hard question because we have quite a few CNC machines in the space… and nobody knows which one you want to learn.

I get the best luck with this process:

• Determine which tool I want to learn
  • Read the committee pages and training about the tool
  • Check Learn.dallasmakerspace.org (moodle site) for training related to the tools (We’re promoting more classes online, so the library will grow)
  • Check the calendar.dallasmakerspace.org for classes related to the tool
  • If there’s a class, sign up
  • if there’s no class posted, check Talk for others requesting the class
  • Check Calendar and attend the monthly committee meeting for that tool and ask if anybody will be offering classes soon.

That’s pretty much a sure-fire way of getting checked out on classes.
Cheers!
Jack

2 Likes

In addition, the tools list is a good central point for many links and references about most of the tools.

Hey there,

After reading through a few discussions and looking at the event page for a class, I’ve been trying to figure out how to join training for a CNC. I would like to learn how to die-cut 4x8 wood boards to produce large signage. I am wondering if anyone is available to conduct training this Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday?

I was fairly sure I’d seen something about where we stood in getting the Intro to MultiCam class up.

There were issues with the previous training. So far as I understand, we don’t have folks lined up to do the basic training. The MultiCam SIG is currently working on recertifying folks who were “trained” previously. They haven’t done the train-the-trainer class yet.

@SWA? Anything to add?

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. I saw that there was re-certification training, but I couldn’t figure out how to schedule the prereq. Is the Introduction to MultiCam SIG normally a group or individual session?

Not an official response, but it starts with a group class, then practice is optional and would be done with a peer buddy who has been doing it for a while, followed by an individual test / signoff.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!
I am also very interested in learning to use the MultiCam CNC. It’s one the tools I am most excited about at the Makerspace and was a strong factor in my decision to join.
Eagerly anticipating that class!

I am not qualified as the instructor, but I could definitely serve the role of peer buddy prior to signoff. Also, will try to answer questions when I can.

1 Like

Do you how many instructors the space has?

@SWA has been leading classes and put a boatload of effort into helping get the machine back up and running. Not sure exactly who else is running classes at this point.

So has there been any meetings or moment on making the structured training course that will be offered to “not certified” ? The reason I joined was to use the CNC and have asked for over a year to be trained on the CNC. I have a small CNC and would liked to be trained, so I could become a member of that secret society of CNC qualified that doesn’t want anyone else to be trained on it so they keep it to themselves. (That’s the way it seems to the rest of use). Yes it should be used with supervision and course should be pass or fail because it’s an unforgiving machine, and not a learn as you go, junk in junk out and set up is a pain. A lot of problems…. Just a little frustrated over how long this has taken and little to no communication publicly about it.

1 Like

Hmmm. I’m sure the team doing this would be willing to credit you for your volunteer hours. Please submit a report of those and your request will be addressed appropriately.

1 Like

This is a common theme amongst many members. From a lot of our understanding is that there are people using the cnc for their personal business and don’t want too many people interfering…I too have rejoined to use the cnc for Christmas presents, but feel like it was a waste of time. I wish Mr. Galey or Mitch Cerroni were still here to help. The space is for everyone after all…

Yes, classes for those never signed off on the machine are in the works. The problem is simply one of time and people: there are only a few dealing with this and all of them have to do it in their scarce free time.

Is this the one? Plunge Cut Track Saw TS 75 EQ-F-Plus

Dude, everyone is frustrated that there are not training classes up for the general membership…
March will make 3 years since COVID shut the space down… and no classes have been offered to the general membership, next March marks 2 years since the machine ate itself and still no training classes have been offered…

I get his frustration… I’m beyond frustrated myself and tired of waiting…

@IanLee @skyspook @Julie-Harris please add additional board members to make them aware of this thread

1 Like

I’m not even going to mess with it anymore. It turned out to be a monster and not a friendly process. The space is a great place with other activities and will continue to bring people seeking to work on projects and hobbies. For the most part, everyone enjoys the amenities and camaraderie regardless of a downed machine.

Oh, they are all aware of this thread, don’t worry.