CNC for wood design

Who can I speak to about CNC’ing a live edge piece of oak? Please reply! 2 1/2 deep.

What are you trying to do?

1 Like

Trying to CNC a logo for a buddies business.

Is the logo ready to carve or will a relief map need to be created?

I don’t know what you mean. I have the logo in several formats. For some reason I cannot attach it here. The logo needs all they way through the piece of wood for an epoxy pour.

If you have a screenshot of the file open that might be easier to post in the forum.

Just double checking: are you sure you mean “all the way through”? As in the epoxy/logo visible from both sides? If so, that may create some significant challenges for you.

1 Like

Yes, I am already pouring all the way through my other projects. Not worried about that.

Also need this piece to be plained flat on the bottom side. This is to ensure the it doesn’t leak.
Can someone there handle my request? I am fine with sending my email to someone that can CNC and plain this live edge.

I was thinking you were looking for a relief carving. Cutting completely through a 2 inch piece of wood with good results will be difficult. Youll need a bit with a cutting edge greater than 2 inches and the design cant have any cuts less then 1/4 inches in width (I’ve not seen a straight bit with a cutting edge greater the 1.5 inches with a diameter less than 1/4 inch). You’ll also have to deal with deflection and increased runout distorting the edges of your design.

A scroll saw might better suit your needs.

1 Like

What kind of scroll saw can handle a piece that big and thick?

I’ve not taken a close look at the DMS saw, but they make scroll saw capable of 6 in thick and 24 inch centers

Sounds great!