CNC drilled hole pattern in Computer Case?

You’d still use a CNC. But often when the hole is drilled, the cutting as they spiral out of the hole “whip” around and scratch/mar the adjacent surface. That’s what the protect film is for. Drill goes right through as will “touch” counter skin to clean up and break hole edge.
Protective surface film example

It will probably be faster to do by hand than to set up a cnc. Print out a template and center punch each hole and you should be plenty accurate.

4 Likes

I thought square hole as well.

Or use the turret press to punch said holes. I’d tape it off so it doesn’t get scratched up, after I did a mock up test.

1 Like

This is the easiest, quickest, cheapest solution. Draw the pattern onto a drilling template and use a drill press approved for drilling metal and use the template to drill the holes in the case.

Laser requires taking a class. CNC requires taking more than one class.

And forget “draw” - You could use Excel and a laser printer to print your drilling guide and get after it.

Thanks for everyone’s helpful input!

How do I draw a uniform hole pattern on a computer there and with which software? I’m not a member yet, but I was taken on a tour and am happy to pay someone to help me complete this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is the power supply behind that thin steel sheet metal. You can see some of the power supply vent holes. I’m just trying to continue those vent holes through the steel and brushed-aluminum panel.

You just need a grid of lines spaced at the appropriate distance for your project. Drill a hole at every intersection. Excel or Google Sheets if it’s a rectangular grid. Or you can use a graph paper creator for fancier grids, like triangles (consequently hexagons too).

https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/triangle/

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the link! I also need to cut out a larger rectangular hole in this aluminum cover top of the case. Currently, some of the radiator fins are blocked by the narrow opening. My previous cutting on the backside with a dremel cutting wheel + blue carpenter tape was ugly, but thankfully it’s not visible from the outside. So, is my understanding correct that I can perform these clean cuts with a cnc bridge port (& 1 Dallas Makerspace class) if I use that protective film covering?

I’m trying to attain as clean cuts as possible to the case like in this water jet cutting video @ the 16 minute mark: https://youtu.be/idqJvsU4AZ0