Clearing up a rumor about Tanner Electronics

I’ve heard from a few people that Tanners would be closing.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

They are going to have to move. They may have a place just down Valwood. ( Still working on it. )
The move will likely late next spring.

This all from Jimmy Tanner today.

Please spread the word.

Todd

7 Likes

Well that sucks that they have to move

Ever been in the warehouse ?

Nope. Not at all.

It’s not QUITE closing scene of Raiders territory, but wow is there a lot of stuff in there.

I do not envy them having to move it all.

2 Likes

I’d gladly help as long as I’m paid from inventory not in cash :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope they stick around for years to come. I have been going there since my dad started taking me as a kid when they had just opened at Beltline and 35 in a strip center that is no longer there. I have been taken back to the warehouse a few times over the years to look at stuff and there is a ton of stuff back there. Will be a chore to move it all… I do know they have been pulling stuff out of the warehouse and starting to sell some of the odds and ends that they have accumulated over the years to reduce the amount to sort and move.

3 Likes

Been going to Tanner’s when they were on Harry Hines. That was three locations ago. Frank Tanner was the original proprietor and was mostly tubes and radio gear.

1 Like

I started going in about 1986, thanks to one of my college professors. Lots of electronics courses in the physics department at ETSU.

I remember two prior locations, both in the same building if I recall. Never knew Frank. I presume that ws Jim’s dad.

Great bunch of folks. I hope they continue for a long time too.

Ive been going since 2001 or 2002. Not sure when they moved to their current location.

I’ve been going since 2002 after being told of it by my form master at my new school.

Never saw the old locations.

I’ve been a customer since the late 1980’s. We are fortunate to have them.

Jimmy Tanner has invited DMS to come in on a Saturday and set up a table and tell customers about electronics, DMS, our classes,… I’ve done this a couple of times and will doing it again in a few weeks. Let me know if you are interested. This is good outreach for Tanner and DMS.

@Team_PR @Team_Electronics

5 Likes

It was Jimmy Tanner that told me about DPRG and the Dallas MakerSpace in 2012. That was my first visit.

7 Likes

Now we know who to blame.

1 Like

I’m glad they found a possible new place. DFW needs them.

The truth is more complex than the rumor, though… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a little history about Tanners Electronics, they started operation around 1968. They are currently in their 4th location that I know of.

1. They were located near Jupiter Road and Kingsley in Garland. That building eventually burned to the ground destroying all stock.
  2. Then they moved to Forest Lane and Harry Hines.
  3. Then they moved to Beltline and I-35.
  4. Then to their current location.

I started going to Tanners Electronics when they were at their 2nd location in the early 1980’s.

4 Likes

Very interested. We’ll get this done. I’ll go in today and speak with them. Please feel free to connect them to me via: [email protected]

They opened before I was born… and before I moved to Texas. I had to settle for first visiting them at the Beltline and I35 location.

:smiley:

I’m glad they made the decision to move and stay open. D/FW needs them.

1 Like
1 Like

I love talking audio circuits with Jim. Tanner’s is a DFW treasure. I’d be happy to volunteer some time to help them move. Perhaps for an in-store discount or some parts. Glad to hear they’ll still be around.

1 Like