Clean up your stuff

I walked into the Commons Area tonight and realized how sloppy and disorganized it looked.
I just did a general decluttering of the Commons area and some of the warehouse tables. If you are missing anything, check lost and found.

Things to keep in mind.

1. This is YOUR Dallas Makerspace. Treat it like you are the owner.

2. Look at a workspace when you walk up to use it, when you are finished, leave it better that that first moment.

3. DMS is not personal storage. Put it in your bin or take it home.

4. All tools, including computers and monitors have homes. Put tools BACK where they belong. Empty drink containers and used paper towels go in the trash.

5. DMS supplies basics. If you are going to total 20 drill bits on your ultra cool project, bring your own. If you are tiger striping your vehicle and need 1,000 yards of blue tape, bring your own.

6. Please label your projects. if your glued up project is unlabeled, how do we know when you are completing it or contact you if there is an issue?

7. Prep the space you are finished using for the next person.

8. Anything supplied at Dallas Makerspace is property of our DMS community, only for use at DMS. We have a steady stream of pens disappearing as well as other things. Please do not be “that person”.

This is all common sense stuff. If any one of you were asked about this list, each of you would say it is what we SHOULD be doing. Next time you are here, please LOOK around the space and lend a hand at your Dallas Makerspace.

19 Likes

Good write-up sir.

That might be the problem, the folks in question might run their own business that way by leeching and trashing out the place.

Sadly, there is a this is a restaurant and somebody will clean up behind me mentality.

If the space were to adopt the Wal-Mart mentality of keeping the theft rate low allows us to provide you with the lowest possible prices, then maybe that would home in.

Increased unconscious theft will eventually cause the space to increase dues etc to keep up with the thievery, or just stop providing the luxuries altogether and force folks to bring their own.

While this doesn’t apply to all, it will affect everyone in the long run.

Cleaning up after yourselves is just a taught habit, if folks weren’t taught to do that then the space isn’t going to change that. Some folks are just nasty, have no sense of CLEAN, like the one’s that take dumps in the restroom and leave it. So good luck with that sir.

You should have Stan look at the video and see who left it a mess. Penalties are the only solution to bad habits.

9 Likes

Character will out.

Those who need this thread forcibly impressed upon them won’t read it.

So I propose the following -

TEACH being excellent! Make it a part of the classes you teach.

Impose responsibility gently but firmly. Those who refuse to behave responsibly will get annoyed and leave. The remaining group will benefit.

AND - lead by example. It’s a VERY rare day I don’t pick up more sawdust than I make when in woodshop - etc.

2 Likes

Well I would agree if we are teaching kindergartners, but the people in these classes are grown individuals. The folks trashing the place, grown adults. The folks walking out with pens, tools etc., grown adults. Last I heard children weren’t allowed to freely roam the space w/o adult supervision.

We should be teaching crafts and exchanging knowledge, not home training. Those that refuse to listen, don’t disappear man, they stay and take advantage of others patience and love of the space. Problem with leading by example is they simply don’t care and get a rise out of being filthy and lazy.

Your right they won’t read this as they are out trashing the space as we speak, so gently imposing how not to be nasty and disrespectful to the space as others are busting their ass to keep it running is intolerable. Respect it or get banned. There’s no place for it, too many people trying to improve to let a handful of people run it into the ground. Stay at home and trash up your own establishment.

1 Like

Something as simple as ‘I am headed for the galley, , why don t you hand me your can /bottle I will put it in the recycle’;

That is a way of teaching folks and making a gentl suggestion at the same time

This is how a generation of mothers taught their children that someone else will clean up after them.

3 Likes

Meanwhile THIS was used to teach yet another generation of children HORRIBLE life lessons including, but not limited to: a magical creature that lives under the counter will come out and clean up your messes while you and our friends frolic in the meadow.

for even MORE horrible life lessons, including but not limited to: fear not wastefulness, a magical creature will enjoy your offcasts:

2 Likes

K, why do you have to teach grown people how throw away their own trash.

I mean do we have a space full of litte bobby’s, where we let them throw a tantrum in the middle of the floor and we just say thats ok bobby?

If somebody needs help like hands are full yeah, i’m offering to toss trash, but doing it to lead by example to impose common sense values to an adult is ridiculous.

Yall can baby these folks all you want but, this isn’t the first time this convo has been brought up and as you see nothing has changed.

Keep thinking the be nice and clean up after folks is going to promote change, only change that will happen is the repetition of changing these folks diapers. Your not teaching them your empowering them to continue to mess their trousers and leaving the mess for another poor soul to deal with the stench.

5 Likes