Clay and Coffee : July 11

BYOM(ug)!

Just a casual Ceramics get together of coffee and hang out time. I’m bringing a couple of gallons of Snowflake Crackle (Britt) dip glaze. Your first dip is free, smaller pots are preferred.

(Snowflake looks especially nice on darker clay bodies or over underglaze to bring some color to the table. Not Food Safe.)

download

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16787

10 Likes

Cannot wait!!!

2 Likes

I’ve got a bottle with a stopper that’s about 12” tall, it’s Cinco Rojo clay which fires dark chocolate brown. Could I use it or is it going to be too large?

1 Like

Hmm, probably not the best sort of option as you have to glaze both sides of your pot with Snowflake or it will rip art in the firing and that interior will be tricky to get even. (Plus be a lot of glaze that you won’t be able to see!) I’d recommend smaller, more open wares that can dip smoothly (one go) into a two gallon level.

If you are still super jazzed about the idea, we can talk it out and come up with a plan.

Ok, thought I’d ask. It’s been sitting around for a while with no glaze plan in my head but that’s ok - something will eventually come to me for it. Will come up with something else

Since it is so tall, maybe Jen’s Juicy Fruit? I currently have some that is in good condition. You could comfortably use more without worrying about it running completely off the pot!

Edit: some examples of Jen’s JF, I can’t remember if you gave it a try before.

I just have to say that this bottle is really gorgeous. What an elegant shape. Well done!

1 Like

Certainly looks nice on those bowls

As we approach closer to our date, I thought I’d take a second to talk a little more about Snowflake Crackle. It is a bit tricky but when everything (firing, application, form, etc.) all come together, the results can be very slick. We had some real winners last time we fired it.

If you are looking through your bisque or pondering what to make, there are a few tips to keep in mind. This glaze goes on very thick, like whoa, 3mm-6mm thick and as it contracts, it puts quite a lot of pressure on your pot. If this is your first time using the glaze, you will want to glaze both sides of your piece. You’ll need to make sure you can pour in (and out!) for bottles/vases. Bowls, cylinders and small plates will be easier. Also, due to the thickness, pourovers are hard to handle, so I recommend keeping items small enough to easily dip into the diameter of a five gallon bucket. Best results will be if you can smoothly dip your entire object into the glaze in a single go. We will also need to make sure all pieces are on appropriately shaped and sized cookies, so I recommend making your own for the firing. If you need help with that, we can knock some out on Sunday that are customized to your pot. Consider donating them to the committee afterwards if you have a successful firing!

This what we are going to try and avoid:

Snow-Flake-Crackle-4

These are our fingers crossed, dream results:

crackle-glazes-620-1

6 Likes

LOVE it!
Added this to facebook as an event here:

3 Likes

Can the bisqued piece have small opening? Actually it has 3 openings. It can be dunked/filled and poured out :eyes:

Almost assuredly, but you can text me a photo and I can give a better answer if you like!

2 Likes

That was timely, I was just going to ask some questions! I am wonder how runny is it? For vertical surfaces how much of a foot is needed?

Here is the difficult answer:

It isn’t particularly runny, however, you have to put it on very thick so it can go sideways if you overglaze. It is more likely to fall/flake off than run off which is why we are going to make sure we have quality cookies for firing. Thinner application on areas that overhang will be smart.

In general, think of this as a trial run of the glaze. Since it can go in a regular C6, if you dig the results, future experimentation is easy!

1 Like

So 1/4 inch on a bowl should suffice?

Probably, depends on the verticality/overhang. Text me a pic and I can answer more exactly.

If anyone wants to do a cup trade tomorrow I have a few extra mugs I can bring.

2 Likes