Classroom Reservation Inquiry

@Julie-Harris it says “request is black holed” when trying to make the class request. Will try from desktop not cell phone later today.

@Julie-Harris I tried setting up the event from desktop. It conflicted with another time. I swapped the time. It then gave me the same error message…

I figured it out. I accessed from desktop explorer not chrome and it went through.

Unless there is a huge cost of materials I think asking $150 for a Makerspace class is way too much. I would request the BOD look into this and figure out what is appropriate and what is not.

Do you know the average amount of time it takes to get approved and posted for classes? Just excited to share, and I have a few folks that were interested in the original 2pm time slot that’s revised to 12pm. I told them I’d let them know once confirmed.

72 hours from when you submit it. We work on “VETO” unless someone had an objection the approval goes through.

@Photomancer thank you.

I think 72 hours is for honorarium request classes. Others are maybe 24 hours.

1 Like

It is on the calendar now

Yay! Thank you!

That information is in the wiki pages linked here.
Sometimes someone will bump them, as Julie has done here. But when the bump faeries aren’t bumping, those system rules are in effect.

1 Like

This is the official one I’m sending out. Thank you, again for all your help.

Well, I do believe that, in this particular case, it’s worth it. It’s a 3 day welding class. So far as welding goes, it’s more effective than the regular DMS classes for welding. If people were complaining, we do have a few other teachers who could step up. Most are aware of what real welding classes cost, so they’re content.

4 Likes

Key is multi-day class.

2 Likes

The key is knowledge transfer. I have yet to see a member attorney hold a $10 class where you bring your problem.

@Contrarian If it is outside of required training then attend or don’t. No one is auto drafting your bank account. The amount of time required to author a quality a class is immense.

I will add that if a member is holding a custom class they can pick either the $50 from DMS, or what the market is willing to private pay. But not both. It is very easy for a person to finger wag about class cost until they are the one putting on the class or workshop. Many of these are workshops, not simple classes.

Personally I say more power to the welding class if people are willing to attend. I have a small beef in general that is very difficult for me to square. Is it right for any one class(paid/free/whatever) to consume a whole area, or a shared resource for multiple days, or even a single day? Let’s say there was a two day table saw class that @mblatz decided to hold. Could he camp out on both table saws in order to hold the class? Most of us would never consider doing such a thing. I see this as being on a golf or mini-golf course where you allow other parties to play through. I don’t have a policy suggestion, just tossing more peanut shells.

2 Likes

I’ll add some more history to this discussion. About 6+ years ago when we over 2,200 members and there were basically no classrooms available because so many classes were being taught, what had to be taught was looked at. We only 104.

There started to be a lot “Basic Education” classes being taught for Honorariums that had nothing to due with “Making” like basic math or a foreign language. Teaching calculus or Spanish is nice but that’s not Making or in our mission statement. Teaching how to use Calculus when applying it to Electronic equations is since you have to already know the math, you are learning how to build the circuit. One person taught Ruby On Rails if I recall it was $30 or $50 per session - Lecture Hall was almost filled. No Honorarium was given. There was much debate about whether learning general programing let you “Make” something vs learning some Arduino program to drive the project used in the class.

Classes were given Honorarium and there was great debates about were Fulfillment by Amazon, marketing on Esty, etc. these argued were not “Making” even though they had 20+ students and were very cost effective per student and I personally felt they were so closely associated which Making and selling your product it should be allowed. I was one vote. At the time DMS paid out $30,000 in Honorariums in one month ($15K to Instructors and $15K to Committees - when they had their own funds). Then we had some members posting training classes everyday, some twice a day in different subjects making as much as $500/wk. But they’d cancel if 3 didn’t sign up but that now meant the classroom wasn’t available.

Then there were members that were just using DMS as super cheap rental hall to have sales marketing sessions for public. Some wanted to hold political meetings (that was DOA immediately).

So rules were put in place what could be taught (“Making”) what could get a honorarium, minimum class time, open to members vs not open. A lot was driven by economics and a lot was driven by classroom availability.

The $150 Weld class I have no problem with: it’s 3 days, it’s a lot of hours - not just 90 minutes, its a small class, and it is definitely Making. The Haas was originally $75, but the person gave it all back to DMS and his company matched it - basically supported the machine There are some issues that I’ve heard raised but not my call.

Classes at DMS has had a very complex history.

3 Likes

Ok, it appeared from the flyer posted to be a 3 hour class so I assumed that was all. I stand corrected and withdraw my concerns about that class.

Indeed. And we expand their scope and allowed usage at our peril. Hence my original post in this thread.

1 Like

Good, as I was not intending to single this course out: it was just the first higher-cost I came across when looking at the calendar.

1 Like