Classroom meeting today 8/19.2018 @ 6pm

We are meeting today at 6pm to discuss the Expansion:

1. Defining the purpose of each room. ie Computer Room
  2. Determine need for chairs, tables, monitors, equipment.
  3. Inventory chairs, tables, monitors, equipment.
  4. rough layout of Computer Lab
  5. Redefine Galley as Multipurpose room. What would be needed? Power, Sink, hose, Fridge, Stove? Define use for Science/Glass/etc. Est if Food Safe could be maintained
  6. Power requirements based on above.
  7. Review needs of committees for training/education.

Committee Chairs, Vice-Chairs, everyone - We do want to hear from you. Now please, before we frame these rooms.
@Team_Education

4 Likes

Can I add flashlights to the list

We do not have a lot of budget to spare, but I am planning to propose some rechargeable emergency lights we can plug into outlets.

1 Like

Emergency lighting should be under infrastructure. Personally, as Tim suggested, we should get the kind that are continuously charged and come on when necessary and mounted to the wall. something that stays on for 30+ is adequate, you are supposed to leave.

Flashlights will disappear. Also, of one person takes it to use then everyone else is left in dark. Lighting has to enough to safely see, not work by.

5 Likes

I am only speaking for Classroom Committee. Something to allow people to safely leave the room.

I do not believe DMS has budget for real emergency lighting at this time.

1 Like

Digital fabrication classes would benefit from using the computer lab.

From the Laser perspective, we request that RDWorks, lightburn, Fusion 360, Inkscape, and Adobe illustrator be made available in the computer lab.

3 Likes

For the wet classroom in the galley:

I think it’d be good if tables were those plastic tables versus some kind of wood or composite. Or that brown kind with that hardwearing surface (going blank on name, what folks used before the lightweight plastic ones).

Personally, and my preference, the lighter color and weight of the plastic ones is better for several reasons

For fibers, if we did dyeing or wetfelting or basketry, those involve more water and even being careful of mess, there can be more get on the tables. We’d clean up of course, but wood/composite tables that eventually get worn surfaces will absorb water and deteriorate faster.

4 Likes

Budget some tacky color spray paint for the flashlights. Good looking flashlights have legs!

1 Like

Flashlights require maintenance checking and replacing the batteries.

Plug-in lights pretty much take care of themselves for years until the battery does not hold a charge.

1 Like

Melamine? or something else?

2 Likes

Phenolic?

1234567890…

We can build several disposable “Allen” tables <ducking and running>

What I meant is that lights of either kind tend to get stolen or at least borrowed and not returned. No respectable thief wants to steal a light sprayed with a tacky color.

You know the old style banquet tables made of compressed wood, really heavy, had the faux-wood look top? Dunno what that surface is. Maybe melamine, maybe similar…

Later years, folks start using the white plastic light-weight ones instead. Same function. Near indestructible, fold up, but much lighter weight

My preference is the white plastic ones from stand point of lightweight to move around, can fold up if need room, indestructible top. And a minor point, it’s much easier seeing what you’re doing dyeing when hand-painting roving it warp (my work around at home is run a length of paper towel under the plastic wrap the length of fiber is spread down, but it’s wasteful)

2 Likes

We do not have much budget (there is that pesky phrase again…)

To start with, the plastic tables we already have will have to do.

1 Like

Those existing ones would be just fine. Wasn’t particularly advocating for new ones, just speaking for some (a couple would do) if there’s a table shuffle or new ones elsewhere. Trickle down tables are perfectly fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

The white plastic tables have a flaw, The welds break on legs, however, this is an eas
problem to fix, just spot weld it back There is a guy near me that does it
for $5

We might keep an eye out for some like we do for wood Most fols just pitch them and buy another one

I know of a nearby welding shop and people who know how to use it…

2 Likes

I wonder if a list of things needed by various committed posted on TALK would
help
remind folks what all might be useful Fall garage sales are coming up
I am keeping my eye out for kitchen base cabinets for JSM

If you search on Craigslist, you can save the search. Then if that type of item comes available it will email you.

2 Likes